• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Update

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Jack....youve come a long way .....looking great....i know you cant wait to take her down the road for the first time :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
zupanj said:
I willl try to provide a video if I can. I am coming up to my greatest fear, that after all this work the engine won't start and there is something wrong with it. I don't think this is rational but it's been in the back of my mind from the beginning of the project.

I know that feeling very well. I've experienced it for each of the 3 engines I've put together. It's an uncanny feeling of fear mixed with doubt. I guess you'd call it "angst". It even stays with me during first fire because I'm looking for water, oil and fuel leaks and hoping the oil pump holds up so I don't wipe a cam lobe, lifter or bearing. Once it settles in and is running for a few minutes all is well. Hang in there, Jack. This, too, shall pass.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks great Jack!

Don't worry about the initial fire-up - it will be fine. A big fan positioned in front of the car to offset some of the tremendous heat generated during cam break-in is always a good idea...as are multiple sets of eyes to watch gauges, the engine, and underneath the car. I'm sure that this isn't your first rodeo - so you know what to do... Enjoy it!!!

:jester:

zupanj

Reaction score
Yup, it's been fired on the dyno so I am sure it should be OK. I talked to the guy who sold me the engine last night. The distributor/oil drive gear didn't look right to me. I have the damper reading 0º and I expected the slot in the gear to be parallel to the crank centerline. It isn't, it is one or two teeth off. I have the #1 wire set up as if this were lined up as I said and I had this feeling that wasn't going to work. Well I am glad I called because he said he puts the gear in whichever way makes the wires look best and sets the #1 tower accordingly. Now that I know what is going on I can set the gear and distributor as I want but that could have been a few hours of fun if I hadn't noticed.

Jack

mcmopar

Reaction score
Man, you ain't kidding! They should be set up one way - the RIGHT way! Rotate that gear so its parallel with the cam. Do it right or don't do it at all. :thumbsup: If it were me I'd be a little bit frosted with that engine builder. :snowball:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Man, you ain't kidding! They should be set up one way - the RIGHT way! Rotate that gear so its parallel with the cam. Do it right or don't do it at all. :thumbsup: If it were me I'd be a little bit frosted with that engine builder. :snowball:

i get it ....frosted....jack hes throwing snowballs at ya :lol: :lol: :lol:

mcmopar

Reaction score
No - that would be me being hit by a snowball by my engine builder. Of course you can then see what my reaction would be!

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
No - that would be me being hit by a snowball by my engine builder. Of course you can then see what my reaction would be!

i know what you meant....just kidding around :acme:

zupanj

Reaction score
The beast is running!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Reset the distributor gear after I primed it and she kicked off pretty easy once I got the firing order correct. It seems I don't know counterclockwise from clockwise.

Sounds great and seems to run right where it's supposed to temperature wise. I am not crazy about the throttle set-up but I can fix that as I go along. I couldn't help myself and took it around the block even though it's a bit damp here It feels real strong. I had trouble getting off the lift because I got hung up on the muffler bolts, I need to turn them up.

I have a couple of movies but no sound. :huh: :huh:

Any ideas on how to fix that?

Jack

zupanj

Reaction score
Put about 12 miles on the Road Runner today and it felt good. I think it is going to have plenty of power just playing with it a little. The throttle was a little jerky and made it hard to run smoothly when I accelerated but I will get that fixed this week. Also found a fuel leak but that was easily fixed. I think I am good to go. :drive: :banana: Knock on wood.

The only comment is the valve train is awfully noisy and I didn't expect that since I have a hydraulic roller cam in her. I guess we will see how that goes.

Jack :party: :beep:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Put about 12 miles on the Road Runner today and it felt good. I think it is going to have plenty of power just playing with it a little. The throttle was a little jerky and made it hard to run smoothly when I accelerated but I will get that fixed this week. Also found a fuel leak but that was easily fixed. I think I am good to go. :drive: :banana: Knock on wood.

The only comment is the valve train is awfully noisy and I didn't expect that since I have a hydraulic roller cam in her. I guess we will see how that goes.

Jack :party: :beep:
That must of really felt good after all the hard work stuffing that thing in there! :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Sounds like fun........you may want to run the valves 1 more time to see if maybe something has changed...........I set mine with no oil at all in the lifters, so I'm thinking that is my valve train noise, or maybe the rockers are rubbing the valve covers.........I'll find out after I get the exhaust on..........have fun with that beast............ :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Sounds like fun........you may want to run the valves 1 more time to see if maybe something has changed...........I set mine with no oil at all in the lifters, so I'm thinking that is my valve train noise, or maybe the rockers are rubbing the valve covers.........I'll find out after I get the exhaust on..........have fun with that beast............ :thumbsup:

I would think that if you set the valves up with no oil in the lifters and you now have a problem it would be that they're too tight - meaning once the engine built oil pressure they're not closing completely rather than having too much lash and being noisy... You're probably more on track with the rockers and valve covers if you're chasing a rattling noise...I hope...

:jester:

zupanj

Reaction score
Well it's been a little while since I got this baby running but I only now borrowed a camcorder to get a video. Hope you enjoy.

Jack :beep:

[youtube:2cuzyqs9]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFW-aFrZ6lM[/youtube:2cuzyqs9]

Back