One of those Sunday drivers. Or was on the cell phone. :lol:

2. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    He tried to turn left from a stop sign across 3 lanes but we got in the way

3. Russ69Runner

Russ69Runner Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2016
    I hope every one was ok. That is the way some of these people drive these day's. When at a stop light when it turns green I always look both way's you just never know. :thumbsup2:

4. 69hemibeep

69hemibeep Sponge Bob Square Wheels

Sep 10, 2008
    We are ok

Russ69Runner likes this.
  5. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Thank goodness for that 69hemibeep. It is amazing what these new car's can take for impact. They are built pretty darn good. I guess with all the crash testing done since the 60's they are far improved on body structure. We use to think the best car for a crash was a big car like a caddie. Or one of the big old's cars. Now these smaller cars just seem to bounce of off thing's. Russ.

6. taguy16

taguy16 Active Member

Oct 26, 2017
    Still haven't got this braking problem solved. I still have a brake pedal that goes all the way to the floor with no resistance at all when the car is running. Now I'm thinking the problem lies in the master cylinder since as mentioned earlier it's a reman unit from Carquest. I'm wondering if when the rebuilder cleaned up the piston bore in it it got honed too much and the piston isn't sealing in the bore. What seems to be happening is the piston in the MC doesn't appear to be able to push any brake fluid thru the system under enough pressure to move the wheel cylinders and caliper's pistons. It's got to be this or it wasn't reassembled right (or it never got rebuilt at all).

I can't think of anything else it could be since I don't have any leaks or air in the brake lines and I've adjusted the brake shoes in to where they are starting to rub the brake drums.

7. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    So have you checked the power booster to see if it is good or not. Or do you have a vacuum leak. When my power booster went out the pedal would go to the floor board. Just a thought Of other thing's that could be wrong. Russ.

8. taguy16

taguy16 Active Member

Oct 26, 2017
    No-haven't checked that. I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the idea.

9. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    Taguy16. I seems like you are doing a good job of finding out problem's and fixing them. I have replaced the diaphragm in several power booster's before. It is tricky but take your time and it will go well. I don't know if your model car's power booster has a rebuild kit for it or not. Russ.

10. taguy16

taguy16 Active Member

Oct 26, 2017
    My car is supposed to have the "Midland" brake booster and there are are rebuild kits available for it, but they are very expensive - about $300 with shipping. I think if the problem does turn out to be the booster then I'm going to see what it takes to convert the car to manual brakes. I don't like power brakes anyway.

11. Russ69Runner

Aug 4, 2016
    You know I am with you on that Manual work's pretty good and you don't lose 10 HP. from the motor. It don't have to pull that vacuum to make the brake booster work. When they go out their is no warning. Just like power steering have throwed belt's on them before and had to struggle to drive the car home. I agree with you these booster's are big and are in the way when working on the motor. I seemed to be in the way when pulling the valve cover off on most cars. Also trying to work on the exhaust manifold. Maybe that is your problem buddy. Hope you find the problem.