• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's Do It; a Favorite Year RR List Thread...

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:
'70 - 440 6BBL now a full production piece and much more refined - with a Dana 60 standard with 4 speed or automatic.

Um, No. You have it completely backwards. In '69 the Dana was the ONLY diff for the 440-6 regardless of tranny. In '70 the TF-backed 440-6 got the 8.75" UNLESS someone checked the A32 or A34 box. There are LOTS of six-barrel '70 & '71 MoPars of every species running around with TFs and 8.75" diffs.

And if by "refined" you mean heavier, slower, and with any-ole-part-off-the-shelf engine components rather than hand-selected, then yes, they definitely were more refined... :lmao:

:jester:

Sorry, you are correct about the Dana. And, sorry Ray, but the '70 looks MUCH better IMO than the '69 A-12 and was easier to run in inclement weather. If I were to have a 6 BBL car it would be the '70 hands down. You can have your "hand selected" parts if you want. The 69-1/2 was a learning experience for Chrysler, particularly for the bottom end. Lots of the '69-1/2 A-12's ended up back in the service departments with busted bottom ends. The '69-1/2 A-12 was purpose built for all out, straight-line performance at which it was fantastic, no question. It just wasn't as "practical" as the '70 model, nor was it as well thought out by having disc brakes available to help stop the runaway beast. This is what I mean by "refined." At least with the '70 you could get the better disc brakes and have a semblance of stopping power. Those 3" drums tended to fade - I know - I had 'em on my first bird and it was only a 383. I'll definitely take the discs (as on my present bird) and would want them on a '70.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I know in the Hemi's with the super track pack with 410s got disc brakes, I would think that holds true for the A12. I'll have some :nachos: and see how this shakes out.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear ya, John, but since these cars are now 40+ years old and no one is driving them in inclimate weather that point is moot. As for the brakes, I too much prefer disks. Just better braking, period. As you noted, the A12 didn't get 'em - not because it wasn't well thought out but rather because of what it was intended for...stop light grand prix supremacy...and the occasional trip to the strip. Conventional thinking was that drums are lighter so you could not check that box, even if you wanted to do so. I think Mr. Maxwell and his cronies would take considerable exception to your contention - they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. :D

I know what you're saying on the rods too...but that was more a function of 4.10 gears, four speeds, and missed gear changes than any pronounced bottom end flaw. I think the jury is still out even today on whether or not the '70 big rods really fixed anything; the only certainties are that they added more weight to the reciprocating assembly and made bigger windows when they exited the block. :yesnod:

I like all of the early years of RRs - but if anyone was or is shopping for a six-barrel car based on everyday practicality then they probably should be shopping for something else...nice Falcon or Prius maybe? :lol:

So when are you getting rid of that poor ole '69 and getting a proper '70 model??? :basketcase:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I know in the Hemi's with the super track pack with 410s got disc brakes, I would think that holds true for the A12. I'll have some :nachos: and see how this shakes out.

No. Not available w/ option code A12. Period.

Here is a copy of the master order for the first 300 A12 RRs.
http://sixpacksixbbl.homestead.com/mast ... ments.html

droptop

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

No. Not available w/ option code A12. Period.

:yeathat:

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I hear ya, John, but since these cars are now 40+ years old and no one is driving them in inclimate weather that point is moot. As for the brakes, I too much prefer disks. Just better braking, period. As you noted, the A12 didn't get 'em - not because it wasn't well thought out but rather because of what it was intended for...stop light grand prix supremacy...and the occasional trip to the strip. Conventional thinking was that drums are lighter so you could not check that box, even if you wanted to do so. I think Mr. Maxwell and his cronies would take considerable exception to your contention - they knew EXACTLY what they were doing. :D

I know what you're saying on the rods too...but that was more a function of 4.10 gears, four speeds, and missed gear changes than any pronounced bottom end flaw. I think the jury is still out even today on whether or not the '70 big rods really fixed anything; the only certainties are that they added more weight to the reciprocating assembly and made bigger windows when they exited the block. :yesnod:

I like all of the early years of RRs - but if anyone was or is shopping for a six-barrel car based on everyday practicality then they probably should be shopping for something else...nice Falcon or Prius maybe? :lol:

So when are you getting rid of that poor ole '69 and getting a proper '70 model??? :basketcase:

:D No time soon, that's for sure. I've always wanted a '70 though. My 8th grade drafting teacher had a Sub-Lime '70 with a black vinyl top, black interior & 383. Can't remember if it was an automatic or 4 speed. It was a nice looking car. Like I said - I like the '69's and '70's about the same. If I could have a '70 with a '69 interior I'b be a happy camper.
As for practicality - well, a lot of these cars were "family cars" back in the day - my dad's was. Mom would drive a '70 6 BBL car with an automatic and an Air-Grabber. Doubtful she'd drive a '69 with that big ol' hood scoop on it. :D

sam z

Reaction score
1. 68-69 split for this. Grill on 69 is better but I like plain tail end on 68. No decor thing. Too bright.
Hood better on 69 and paint treatment better too. 69 better emblems / decals. Round markers on 68
better. I was in the market for either when I purchased.
2. 70. Obviously same generation as previous. Sometimes I like front end, sometimes I don't. Looks like
a tough car with right wheels and rubber. Don't care for round gauges or bright crazy colors personally. Ordinary
colors look great to me. First RR I ever saw was a white 70 parked at a pub in central Mass fairly frequently.
I remember being a 17 year old kid passing it all the time and just thinking it was the coolest old car.
I never heard of one before and it was just flat out cool because it was unique to me.
3. 71 and it goes down fast from there. Completely different from the original generation and I don't
care for them one way or another. I can always appreciate a nicely restored car but that's about where
it ends for me.

I'll add a little more to this - if it wasn't a RR, my next two choices would be 1968 / 69 GTO or 1987 Buick
Grand National.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
sam z said:
I'll add a little more to this - if it wasn't a RR, my next two choices would be 1968 / 69 GTO or 1987 Buick
Grand National.

I have a good friend named Rob that lives in Seattle. He & I went to high school together in Okinawa. Some of you have met him @ Carlisle. He owns a really nice Alpine Blue '68 Goat Convertible. RAII 400/4-speed/4.33 Safe-T-Track. That thing will definitely make you an instant fan of old Goats.

Back in 1999 several of my friends & I visited Rob & his wife that summer. We took the ferry up to BC, etc., just did the whole pacific northwest touristy thing. Anyway, late one morning my buddy George and I decided that we needed a Dick's Hamburger fix (old drive-in hamburger joint up there - local landmark) so we asked Rob for the keys to the Goat and headed out. I'm driving and as I pull away from a traffic light I pushed down on the loud pedal and let the 4.33s do their thing. No huge smoke show, but a little bit of noise and some rubber laid down, then I got out of it and eased her into second. Next thing I know we've got sirens blaring and flashing lights in the rear view. I quickly pulled over. The top was down, so we had no difficulty in hearing the cops when they screamed "get out of the vehicle, get down on your knees, and put your hands behind your heads". We are both looking at each other and saying WTF???!!! It was just a little bit of rubber. Damn, they take this sh*t WAY TOO SERIOUSLY up here... Turned out that someone had just robbed a bank...and you want to guess what the description of the perps and the vehicle was...? Yep, two white guys in a blue GTO convertible... :lol: It really didn't take that long for them to figure out that we weren't the clowns that they were looking for...and never once did any of the cops mention my brisk launch from the light...but that is one Goat adventure that is forever burned into my memory... :D

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
We're still making the Buick Grand National emblems for GM. We've made way more emblems than there is Buick Grand Nationals.......

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Next thing I know we've got sirens blaring and flashing lights in the rear view. I quickly pulled over. The top was down, so we had no difficulty in hearing the cops when they screamed "get out of the vehicle, get down on your knees, and put your hands behind your heads". We are both looking at each other and saying WTF???!!! It was just a little bit of rubber. Damn, they take this sh*t WAY TOO SERIOUSLY up here...

pics or it didn't happen....... :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
ACME A12 said:
Next thing I know we've got sirens blaring and flashing lights in the rear view. I quickly pulled over. The top was down, so we had no difficulty in hearing the cops when they screamed "get out of the vehicle, get down on your knees, and put your hands behind your heads". We are both looking at each other and saying WTF???!!! It was just a little bit of rubber. Damn, they take this sh*t WAY TOO SERIOUSLY up here...

pics or it didn't happen....... :lmao:

I'd kinda like to see the footage from the dash cam myself... :D

sam z

Reaction score
That's a story that's tough to beat. I guess you have to be careful what cars you borrow.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sam z said:
That's a story that's tough to beat. I guess you have to be careful what cars you borrow.

actually you have to be careful who you let borrow your cars...... :lmao:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Maybe I am just too biased but there is at least one thing I don't like as much about every other year except 1969.
68- Don't really like the round side markers, colorless RoadRunner decals or grill
69- Not the Car of the year for nothing...and they didn't even know about an A12 at that point!
70- Hate the high trunk opening and plastic grill...love the Duster trail and air grabber
71- Don't like the rear visibility, 1/4 windows and C pillar....but love the air grabber
72 and up- my Mom always told me if you don't have something nice to say....

moparmonk

Reaction score
I am just loving this Humoristic, Sarcastic Banter! Keep it up, All! I thought I might throw out a few pics of the evidently not so loved 71 and up style to try and lobby a few of you. They are worth keeping the thread going anyway. I work at a place that builds police cars. Looks as though we may of had a slow afternoon during a conversion. :chuck: :chuck:

jeffs car 1.JPG

Jeffs car 2.JPG

Jeffs car 3.JPG

Back