• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's Do It; a Favorite Year RR List Thread...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
RoadRunnerJD said:
68- Don't really like the round side markers, colorless RoadRunner decals or grill

I had a '68 Charger for almost 20 years. really liked the marker lights. The black and white birds are the only thing I don't care for on the '68s. I never understood why Chrysler had the color bird on the tail panel for the decor package, but the plain one on the doors. If i had a '68 it would have the '69 decals for sure.

dobie

Reaction score
Could it be that the decor cars came late enough to get the licensing from Warner Bros maybe? Still a 68 model though so they were using up the black and white birds perhaps?

I honestly have no clue. Just thinking out loud.

zupanj

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="sam z":1n1tfln0]I'll add a little more to this - if it wasn't a RR, my next two choices would be 1968 / 69 GTO or 1987 Buick
Grand National.

I have a good friend named Rob that lives in Seattle. He & I went to high school together in Okinawa. Some of you have met him @ Carlisle. He owns a really nice Alpine Blue '68 Goat Convertible. RAII 400/4-speed/4.33 Safe-T-Track. That thing will definitely make you an instant fan of old Goats.

Back in 1999 several of my friends & I visited Rob & his wife that summer. We took the ferry up to BC, etc., just did the whole pacific northwest touristy thing. Anyway, late one morning my buddy George and I decided that we needed a Dick's Hamburger fix (old drive-in hamburger joint up there - local landmark) so we asked Rob for the keys to the Goat and headed out. I'm driving and as I pull away from a traffic light I pushed down on the loud pedal and let the 4.33s do their thing. No huge smoke show, but a little bit of noise and some rubber laid down, then I got out of it and eased her into second. Next thing I know we've got sirens blaring and flashing lights in the rear view. I quickly pulled over. The top was down, so we had no difficulty in hearing the cops when they screamed "get out of the vehicle, get down on your knees, and put your hands behind your heads". We are both looking at each other and saying WTF???!!! It was just a little bit of rubber. Damn, they take this sh*t WAY TOO SERIOUSLY up here... Turned out that someone had just robbed a bank...and you want to guess what the description of the perps and the vehicle was...? Yep, two white guys in a blue GTO convertible... :lol: It really didn't take that long for them to figure out that we weren't the clowns that they were looking for...and never once did any of the cops mention my brisk launch from the light...but that is one Goat adventure that is forever burned into my memory... :D

:jester:[/quote:1n1tfln0]

Sounds like "My Cousin Vinny"!!

:jester: :popcorn:

zupanj

Reaction score
I haven't posted because I don't really have an opinion beyond the '69 and '68 in that order. Seventies are OK but are not in my top five. On other Mopars that are my favorites:

1968 Charger - Still a glorious looking car. Don't care for the '69 taillights.

1964 Plymouth Fury or Belvedere - I think the roof line is great.

1964 Dodge Polara - Good looking car. Drove a friends 426-4spd and loved it.

Jim S.

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with what Sam Z. said. I sure do not have a problem with a 68 Roadrunner. Don't mind the round markers or the grill. Hey that is the first grill I ever saw on a Roadrunner in high school. The black and white decals I think are cool because there is a story behind that. No I do not like the stainless deck panel treatment. Looked much better without. How cool would it be to own a 68 hemi 4 speed with no radio and carpet from the factory. You would have to glue the rubber floor mats down :lol: 69 came the air grabber and the V21 hood treatment. A12 well, duh, what a killer looking car that could actually compete with a hemi. (Bob you and Ray have to race someday). 70 was a big change but, still pretty cool to me. How could you not like that air grabber scoop + the 440s. 71, I think I will not comment because I will piss some people off. Isn't 71 the first year we let women vote? O.K. I'll shutup.......

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
Stu,

Why does that '70 have an umbilical cord? :pot:

Oh, damn, that was good!!! :basketcase:

Get up and dust yourself off, Stu-Rat... :lol: :lol: :lol:

:jester:

dobie

Reaction score
Haha.....I'd LOVE to see Bob and Ray line up at Carlisle!

What a sight that would be!!

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
A12 well, duh, what a killer looking car that could actually compete with a hemi. (Bob you and Ray have to race someday).
Sounds like Jim is trying to organize the first ever 69lamancha.net meet at the Texas Motorplex... :lol:
Gonna have to properly fix the ejector bench seat bracket once and for all... :basketcase:

Jim S. said:
71, I think I will not comment because I will piss some people off. Isn't 71 the first year we let women vote? O.K. I'll shutup.......
Go for it, Jim. Spill the beans. Harold is the only one of the members that owns one. And he's just a tiny, shrimpy little guy so you don't have to worry about him... :basketcase:
Women's Suffrage? I think it was 1976. That was when Carter got elected... :D

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I was at DVAP yesterday getting one of those elusive upper control arms for an A-body when I round the corner and what do I see first thing through the gate, but a 73 RR they just picked up, I had to laugh a little.

jays69bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:
The 76 pic below is the best of the best year and color. Followed by 74,73, 68 and then 69 because it was the only one in my price range :D

Okay Mr. Sponge Bob, I see that you have taken some of Chris' :pot: pills just to enhance our entertainment experience... :basketcase:
Now that you have that box checked, you want to try again...? :nachos:

The Big Kahuna just made my day by getting in a Newbaum Turk reference... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had a feeling that Harold would not play favorites... :D

I find it interesting how opinions on the '71-'72 cars are split into the love 'em or hate 'em camps. Kinda just like you see on '70 R/Ts and Super Bees. Not too many people in the middle of the road on those cars.

I think Jay is the absolute master of the understatement... "72,pretty much the same minus the motors and last very limited year for the 440 6BBL." By most accounts there were only two '72 V code RRs made - and only one still known to exist... Which is why I referred to '71 as the last year of six barrels...just to clarify... :D

All I know is my 72 Charger owners manual had the 440 with the 6 barrel induction system listed,so in the 72 B bodies that was an engine option,whether they made 2 or 22,000 :yesnod: he he he.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Go for it, Jim. Spill the beans. Harold is the only one of the members that owns one. And he's just a tiny, shrimpy little guy so you don't have to worry about him... :basketcase:
Women's Suffrage? I think it was 1976. That was when Carter got elected... :D

:jester:[/quote]

Yeah right. Think I will hire Dobie for some off duty bodyguard work first. :yesnod:

And Jimmy Carter, well all I can say is "good Lord". :facepalm:

moparchris

Reaction score
I agree with Harold. Its like asking which kid is your favorite.

1.) 68 Love the grill, side markers, hood inserts, and the tailpanel. Maybe I am biased since I grew up in one.
2.) 69 Love the grill, tail lights, hood stripes, and of course the air grabber.
3.) 70 love the grill, tail lights, hood scoop, graphics, and of course the Superbird
4.) 71/72 love the over all styling, just different than what the B body was before in a good way. Love the hood inserts.
5.) 77, now hear me out. My parents bought a brand new Road Runner 360/4 bbl auto. It was exceptionally quick on its feet. BTW there Sponge bobby that green one was for sale and had the price been a little better I would've owned it.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:

1.) 68 Love the grill, side markers, hood inserts, and the tailpanel. Maybe I am biased since I grew up in one.
2.) 69 Love the grill, tail lights, hood stripes, and of course the air grabber.
3.) 70 love the grill, tail lights, hood scoop, graphics, and of course the Superbird
4.) 71/72 love the over all styling, just different than what the B body was before in a good way. Love the hood inserts.
5.) 77, now hear me out. My parents bought a brand new Road Runner 360/4 bbl auto. It was exceptionally quick on its feet. BTW there Sponge bobby that green one was for sale and had the price been a little better I would've owned it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Its fugly

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
moparchris said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Its fugly

:lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I was reading something this morning and remembered this thread... Worth a bump to the top for fun. :bump:

Back