• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

little problem with my roadrunner

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
was taking apart the hemi to inspect lifters and after the forth lifter i looked at ....the ceramic bottom fell off......almost went inside block....that would've really sucked......now i have to see if i can replace all....schubeck went out of business[attachment=2:17l98gyt]DSC02875.JPG[/attachment:17l98gyt][attachment=1:17l98gyt]DSC02874.JPG[/attachment:17l98gyt][attachment=0:17l98gyt]DSC02871.JPG[/attachment:17l98gyt]

DSC02875.JPG

DSC02874.JPG

DSC02871.JPG

george68hemirr

Reaction score
went i pulled the tunnel ram.....6 of the top gasket ports were gone.....was running real bad[attachment=2:2mg2e7uv]DSC02870.JPG[/attachment:2mg2e7uv][attachment=1:2mg2e7uv]DSC02864.JPG[/attachment:2mg2e7uv]

popped the msd cap and it was corroded real bad.....called msd up in texas and said high humidity would do this.....wd-40 or spray clear on it was the answer i got......bought a new module last year and cleaned it up......so i ordered a new one

[attachment=0:2mg2e7uv]DSC02868.JPG[/attachment:2mg2e7uv]

DSC02870.JPG

DSC02864.JPG

DSC02868.JPG

mac

What ?
Reaction score
if that is your idea of a little problem, then i would hate to see a big problem. is there a problem with the surfaces at the right angle with the heads and intake?

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mac said:
if that is your idea of a little problem, then i would hate to see a big problem.
i really want to puke.....if i dont find the lifters may have to go with solid uncoated lifters and give the smith brothers a call to make new push rods and also change out my 550 lb seat pressure valve springs to 325lbs or shit can the cam.....go roller/cam/springs.....750 lb seat pressure/new roller lifters

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
glad you caught it before it caused you more trouble.

Jim S.

Reaction score
That sucks George. With the MSD, what in the world is causing that? I thought those caps were vented. Maybe the magnet, voltage and dis-similar metals? I guess when you get the new one a little dielectric grease on the problem areas wouldn't hurt......

ps. these guys are having the same MSD problem. Looks like the new MSD dist. have a yellow zinc coating to stop this.
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16360

george68hemirr

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
That sucks George. With the MSD, what in the world is causing that? I thought those caps were vented. Maybe the magnet, voltage and dis-similar metals? I guess when you get the new one a little dielectric grease on the problem areas wouldn't hurt......

ps. these guys are having the same MSD problem. Looks like the new MSD dist. have a yellow zinc coating to stop this.
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16360
when i called him today he said guys are clear coating them or spray a rust inhibitor on it......anyway the new one is on its way.....the wife bought it for me.....lets see if this one is coated

csuk9

Reaction score
It sure seems like a good luck angel was following you.. Sorry for the extra work.. How many miles were on the motor?

moparchris

Reaction score
All of my MSD distributors look like they have been living on the botom of the ocean. :lol: No extra cost for that.

As far as the lifters are concerned I would (and I hate to say this) call Comp. They have a lifter with a tiny hole EDMed in the face of the lifter so it gets pressurized oiling from your oil system. Also some of the space age lifter coatings are out there, Crane has a coating called Mikronite.

Or man up and stick an enormous solid roller in there. Yep thats better. :acme:

V269

Reaction score
What, no damm burnouts for a while. :facepalm: This totally sucks George ! Good thing it didn't get into the engine. I agree about going with a roller set up too. I know it's costly but I think you will be happy with it in the end. Charge on mister ! :cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I have to go back to what Mac asked about the intake angle to the heads for the gasket to go away like it did. hope you got all the little parts out. :yesnod:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
mac said:
if that is your idea of a little problem, then i would hate to see a big problem.
i really want to puke.....if i dont find the lifters may have to go with solid uncoated lifters and give the smith brothers a call to make new push rods and also change out my 550 lb seat pressure valve springs to 325lbs or shit can the cam.....go roller/cam/springs.....750 lb seat pressure/new roller lifters

I'm shocked that with that set-up you don't already have a nasty-a$$ roller... With that engine combo this is a no-brainer... :cents:

The only thing I don't like about rollers is the sacrificial bronze dizzy gear. It really sucks when they give up the ship and put you on the side of the road, but it's better than two unforgiving metal surfaces competing for the same space.

zupanj

Reaction score
Wow George,

You really hit the jackpot. It looks like different things going on at the same time. That is impressive spring pressure you are running, I am surprised a hydraulic lifter could take that. I don't have a high opinion of Comp though my personal experience is limited but I would be inclined to talk to Crane. I think they put more thought into their Mopar and Ford stuff than Comp and their quality is really good. I have Crane hydraulic rollers in my hemi and so far they have been good but I suspect I don't spin the rpm you do.

I don't think I have ever seen the inside of a distributor look like that before, that is impressive.

Good luck and as others have said, it is a good thing you caught it when you did.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
Wow George,

I don't have a high opinion of Comp though my personal experience is limited but I would be inclined to talk to Crane. I think they put more thought into their Mopar and Ford stuff than Comp and their quality is really good. I have Crane hydraulic rollers in my hemi and so far they have been good but I suspect I don't spin the rpm you do.

Crane isn't Crane anymore; they went out of business in 2009. The remnants were purchased by another outfit - S&S Cycle. Too many other sound options available to mess around with a bunch of motorcycle yahoos. :cents:

Check out this link. Lots of interesting info.

http://www.harveycrane.com/

It even mentions Harold Brookshire - one of the sharpest guys to ever get into the camshaft business - who I think is still the GM @ Lunati these days. His dissertations on camshaft theory are the stuff of legend.

:thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
WOW George, that really sucks and having multiple problems makes it worse. For what you spent on the monster you'd think that they would use better materials. that could take the beating they were designed for.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mac said:
if that is your idea of a little problem, then i would hate to see a big problem. is there a problem with the surfaces at the right angle with the heads and intake?
i have the aluminum indy valley pan.......what i think is going on is......if i use rtv under the pan to block like maybe too much would raise the pan which i have to also rtv above the pan on the rails by the heads which makes contact with the lower part of the tunnel ram......what i am going to do is make a gasket under pan then install tunnel ram and feeler gauge what i need on top of pan......just maybe i could get that figured out and the problem would go away with gaskets and minimal rtv......also my engine builder said to prick punch 2 spots on each port to give it some additional friction to hold it in place

george68hemirr

Reaction score
csuk9 said:
It sure seems like a good luck angel was following you.. Sorry for the extra work.. How many miles were on the motor?
yes thanks.....was lucky and curious since last time i adjusted the valves some of the adjusters where showing less threads then the others.......since the motor was built in 05 i totaled up around 12-14 thousand hard miles :drive:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
moparchris said:
All of my MSD distributors look like they have been living on the botom of the ocean. :lol: No extra cost for that.

As far as the lifters are concerned I would (and I hate to say this) call Comp. They have a lifter with a tiny hole EDMed in the face of the lifter so it gets pressurized oiling from your oil system. Also some of the space age lifter coatings are out there, Crane has a coating called Mikronite.

Or man up and stick an enormous solid roller in there. Yep thats better. :acme:

here is the oiling hole in these lifters ray

[attachment=0:3r580sb8]DSC02876.JPG[/attachment:3r580sb8]

solid rollers just dont hold up ray.....they always had problems failing also

DSC02876.JPG

Back