• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 69 road runner high school car ,

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
my first was a '69 Firebird,OHC. paid $100 that I earned myself. not pretty, but it was mine and the radio worked.
Yeah, ya gotta have the radio working.

CWR

Reaction score
Is That a black Vinyl top?...............my car originally had a black one...........I'm thinking of re doing it...........any ideas where to start?

moparstuart

Reaction score
CWR said:
Is That a black Vinyl top?...............my car originally had a black one...........I'm thinking of re doing it...........any ideas where to start?
some people love them some hate them I love mine ,My 70 couple also has one .

legendary has the material , are your rear roof line side moldings still there ????

CWR

Reaction score
unfortunately they are not there...........I was looking at the V roof at Legendary............the moldings may be a prob

dodgem1

Reaction score
hotrod98 said:
I sold my 69 Chevelle SS396 while in college in May of 1978. I found it and bought it back in May of 1998. The kid that I bought it from had seller's remorse and bugged me to death to buy it back for over two years. He called one day and my wife answered. She came out to the shop and told me that he had called and wondered why I didn't just sell it back to him. I told her that it had sentimental value.
She said "If you were going out on cruise night and had the Chevelle and the 71 Cuda sitting here, both ready to drive, which one would you take?" I called the kid and he and his dad came right over and took the car home. I don't regret it, I have so many nice cars and he only had the one. Besides, we're just caretakers anyway. We can't take these cars with us.
amen,it will all burn in the end :worship:

mcmopar

Reaction score
CWR said:

If you do decide to go with the vinyl top I would make just one recommendation: strip the roof down to bare sheetmetal anywhere vinyl will be installed and then coat it with 2 coats of either POR-15 or Rust Bullet and then paint over that with a polyurethane paint. After all that, install the vinyl roof covering. The reason these cars rotted out so fast under the vinyl roof was because all the factory did for the vinyl roof cars was spray a coat of primer on the roof and slap the vinyl on over that. The primer was a poor barrier between the sheetmetal and the condensation that occurs under the vinyl. Result? Roof rot like crazy after only a very short time. If you are going to install the vinyl roof once again take the time to do it right and it will last a very, very long time.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
CWR said:

If you do decide to go with the vinyl top I would make just one recommendation: strip the roof down to bare sheetmetal anywhere vinyl will be installed and then coat it with 2 coats of either POR-15 or Rust Bullet and then paint over that with a polyurethane paint. After all that, install the vinyl roof covering. The reason these cars rotted out so fast under the vinyl roof was because all the factory did for the vinyl roof cars was spray a coat of primer on the roof and slap the vinyl on over that. The primer was a poor barrier between the sheetmetal and the condensation that occurs under the vinyl. Result? Roof rot like crazy after only a very short time. If you are going to install the vinyl roof once again take the time to do it right and it will last a very, very long time.
I like the looks of the vinyl tops on these cars but I'm not sure if I could bring myself to putting one on, only because of the rusting issue..........

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I like the looks of the vinyl tops on these cars but I'm not sure if I could bring myself to putting one on, only because of the rusting issue..........

I went through the exact same thing with Swinger...as that was the ONLY place that this little car had rusted...covered the roof with POR-15 and painted as John suggested...six years ago...no problems...glad I put the top back on...

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
:devil: :devil: :devil:
I have to tell you stuart, if that car had the white reflective stripe and the non-glare stripes, that would be one of the sexiest cars on earth.......... :D

Back