• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil pump problem

Coyote

Reaction score
He’s pulled all his hair out along with the pan! Thanx for all the righteous suggestions!

Coyote

Reaction score
Have you pulled the filter to see if you pushed oil that far?

Oh yeah! Nothing out of oil pump, no resistance with primer. I’m suspicious of either air leak at pickup threads or crack/hole hiding in/on pickup. Its gotta come out! Either in car or on stand. Thanx!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ok here it is. Go to the oil plug in the motor sending unit hole some where. Take a out board motor pump blub and fix a fitting into the motor clamp hose to both the pump blub and fitting. Then take hose off the other end of the blub and put into fresh oil. Pump the blub and see what happens. Oil should come out of oil ports head and where the oil pump bolt's on this would show if the pressure side of the pump is blocked. Should even see oil coming out the rocker's. Maybe you have a vapor block some where. I charge all the old motor's I buy this way to make sure every thing get's oil first. :praying: :kartman:If this don't work ##%%&%@@!!!!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just was asking about the drill motor. We pulled the Distributor and had a shaft with the chunk to fit the oil pump shaft and turned it with a drill. Yea I understand now.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
pull the valve covers....if for no reason than to rule that out...you know he wants to pull the engine anyway so he can slide that Passion 5 speed in......

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Oil goes up the pickup to the pump and filter. No oil in filter no oil to the valve train or anything else. I would have changed the filter again before taking things apart. I picked up 10psi changing from Fram to Wix

quikbird

Reaction score
Did swap filters and even unscrewed it part way in case of an air blockage. Should have shot oil all over the place but nothing

Ranger

Reaction score
Do the oil pump rotors need to be packed with vaseline to create the initial prime? Never had to install a new pump, but I seem to recall hearing that once.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I never did. As soon as you hit the pump with the drill I got pressure

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Darn quikbird you still have not found the problem. Dose the pick up tube have a crack in it have seen this before. Wish you the best. :BangHead:

quikbird

Reaction score
Folks may be onto it. Has to be some kind of vacuuming breaker, ( leak) in there somewhere not letting the pump work. Annoyed enough with it that I bought a new road race pan with external pickup and pump from Mancini at the nats today. Install that over next week and see if works.

:soapbox:

Coyote

Reaction score
Qbird and I chatted at the Nats about this. We may have had an epiphany on the situation. I’ll let him bear the news.:poke::soapbox::beep:

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yea Like big John say load up a big gun with part's and shoot it at the problem. NOT. But I am guilty of doing the same thing. :kartman: I put 10 new parts on the darn thing and it still wont run. @%%$$#!!&&**!!!!!!

Back