• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Defroster

V269

Reaction score
Here is a question , how many of you guy's have a rear defroster in your runner. I have one in mine and was told yesterday this is fairly rare or uncommon. My car bieng a Lynch Road car destined for export to Canada he tells me the factory installed rear defrosters for the colder climate. Also this car had a gold color from the factory and had blue paint over it. When I bought the car 28 years ago it had been painted orange and I was always unsure if the original color was gold or blue. Turn's out the gold color I seen was a factory rust inhibitor to give it extra protection under the undercoating that is on the car from the factory. Which is also something they did to car's going to Canada. Make's perfect sence to me why the blue paint was there as it was probably the original color. Any thought's. :huh:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Ken King said:
Here is a question , how many of you guy's have a rear defroster in your runner. I have one in mine and was told yesterday this is fairly rare or uncommon. My car bieng a Lynch Road car destined for export to Canada he tells me the factory installed rear defrosters for the colder climate. Also this car had a gold color from the factory and had blue paint over it. When I bought the car 28 years ago it had been painted orange and I was always unsure if the original color was gold or blue. Turn's out the gold color I seen was a factory rust inhibitor to give it extra protection under the undercoating that is on the car from the factory. Which is also something they did to car's going to Canada. Make's perfect sence to me why the blue paint was there as it was probably the original color. Any thought's. :huh:

mine from new york didnt come with a rear defrost....would"ve been cool...more weight for more traction :lol: :lol:

thats pretty wild ...gold -blue - now orange

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mine was ordered with the rear defroster. I still have it but have removed it in favor of a 6x9 speaker. The car was originally delivered to a dealership in Queens, NY. According to Galen Govier only 3.3% of all road runners (1,547) were so equipped.

V269

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Mine was ordered with the rear defroster. I still have it but have removed it in favor of a 6x9 speaker. The car was originally delivered to a dealership in Queens, NY. According to Galen Govier only 3.3% of all road runners (1,547) were so equipped.

Holly crap, that is fairly rare then. Cool. The defroster in my car is gone so I am looking for one to replace it. Switch and what not is there though. I have speaker's in my car as well but might re-install the defroster. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my car that was in the fire had the rear defroster. C Bodies have the same set up.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
FYI, I still have a working blower motor/assembly for a rear defroster. I don't have the vent or the ductwork.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Ken King said:
mcmopar said:

Holly crap, that is fairly rare then. Cool. The defroster in my car is gone so I am looking for one to replace it. Switch and what not is there though. I have speaker's in my car as well but might re-install the defroster. :thumbsup:

I have one. I'm going away from the weekend and I'll dig it out when I get back.

moparstuart

Reaction score
I know most of the canadian daytona chargers that have be documented came factory with the rear blower :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
as far as paint color do you have the fender tag or the broadcast sheet ?

V269

Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="Ken King":2qdiyrsg]
mcmopar said:

I have one. I'm going away from the weekend and I'll dig it out when I get back.[/quote:2qdiyrsg]

Keep me posted Big's. Thank's. :thumbsup:

V269

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
I know most of the canadian daytona chargers that have be documented came factory with the rear blower :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
as far as paint color do you have the fender tag or the broadcast sheet ?

No, when I bought the car the tag and broadcast sheet were missing. It is a true RM21H9A car though. I am having a fender tag made up so this is why I need this info. It would be neat to see a copy of a Lynch Road broadcast sheet just to see what they looked like. Any one interested ? :D

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
My GTX has one I also have a complete dealer installed version too that I got from a junkyard way back, it has a add on bezel that goes on the instrument switch panel, I'll see if I can find it and photo it this weekend

dstryr

Reaction score
Interesting topic. My dad's Super Bee was(still is) disassembled when he bought it and all the parts seem to be present for the rear defroster. It is a fairly well-optioned car with power brakes, buckets & console, power steering, auto trans, light package, side scoops, am/fm and maybe 8-track and a vinyl top.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Nice - so when is he gonna put it back together and can we expect pics? :toetap: :D

V269

Reaction score
I installed my rear defroster assembly today. Everything fit perfect and looks factory. I painted it gloss black as factory did. Just have to install the wiring now to finish it up. It is a 2 speed blower which mounts the opposite direction from the drivers side speaker grill. This is another indicator that some cars had the defroster option. Look under your package shelf to see if the two speaker openings are 180 deg of each other and if so it may have had a defroster at one time. :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all the speaker/defroster mounts were like that since that rear package shelf mounting metal would be hard to add in for a special order. I could be wrong but it seems to me that my 1st road runner's rear speakers were 180 degrees out from one another. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jim S.

Reaction score
Ken King said:
I installed my rear defroster assembly today. Everything fit perfect and looks factory. I painted it gloss black as factory did. Just have to install the wiring now to finish it up. It is a 2 speed blower which mounts the opposite direction from the drivers side speaker grill. This is another indicator that some cars had the defroster option. Look under your package shelf to see if the two speaker openings are 180 deg of each other and if so it may have had a defroster at one time. :thumbsup:
Ken, I would sure like to see it when you get it all done, if it is not too much trouble, assuming you have a cam, etc.................Jim

V269

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
I'm pretty sure all the speaker/defroster mounts were like that since that rear package shelf mounting metal would be hard to add in for a special order. I could be wrong but it seems to me that my 1st road runner's rear speakers were 180 degrees out from one another. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You could be right. I'm only going by what I have read. Unless these cars were made at the factory with different package tray's it would be alot of work to change them later would'nt it. Lets get some other owners to check theirs by looking in the trunk and then we will know for sure. How about it fellows, take a look. :huh:

Back