• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Defroster

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Ken King said:
mcmopar said:
I'm pretty sure all the speaker/defroster mounts were like that since that rear package shelf mounting metal would be hard to add in for a special order. I could be wrong but it seems to me that my 1st road runner's rear speakers were 180 degrees out from one another. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You could be right. I'm only going by what I have read. Unless these cars were made at the factory with different package tray's it would be alot of work to change them later would'nt it. Lets get some other owners to check theirs by looking in the trunk and then we will know for sure. How about it fellows, take a look. :huh:

The Roadrunner was only available with one rear speaker, a 6 x 9" on the passenger side. The other side, which just happens to be the right size for a 5 x 7" speaker was only for the defogger. While a lot of cars were fitted with speakers on both sides, that was done after the car left the factory. They all had cutouts in the sheet metal for the defogger and the speaker.

I'm not sure if the 5 x 7 size was by design or coincidence. I do know the defoggers were pretty much universal size for all the bodies.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
The Roadrunner was only available with one rear speaker, a 6 x 9" on the passenger side. The other side, which just happens to be the right size for a 5 x 7" speaker was only for the defogger. While a lot of cars were fitted with speakers on both sides, that was done after the car left the factory. They all had cutouts in the sheet metal for the defogger and the speaker.

I'm not sure if the 5 x 7 size was by design or coincidence. I do know the defoggers were pretty much universal size for all the bodies.

Interesting...so you could get the additional small speakers in the dash...but out back there was only one... I can't recall (other than my 'vert) not having two speakers back there (even my radio delete Bambilicious currently has two back there...) so I never gave it a second thought. Obviously, some previous owners had already made some mods to all of my RR's...

:jester:
ACME

mcmopar

Reaction score
At first I thought "I put 6x9's in the rear of mine and they fit" but then I remembered I had to drill new holes for the speaker on the side where the defroster was.

CWR

Reaction score
Mine has 6X9 opening on passenger side and 7X5 opening on drivers side (measured from inside the trunk) The openings in package tray are identical even though the metal cut outs are 180 degrees to each other

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Unless they have been altered I believe they all looked like this

Here's the one I've altered.

2009_0614Stuff0032.jpg

V269

Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="Ken King":23e0lj3v]
mcmopar said:
I'm pretty sure all the speaker/defroster mounts were like that since that rear package shelf mounting metal would be hard to add in for a special order. I could be wrong but it seems to me that my 1st road runner's rear speakers were 180 degrees out from one another. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You could be right. I'm only going by what I have read. Unless these cars were made at the factory with different package tray's it would be alot of work to change them later would'nt it. Lets get some other owners to check theirs by looking in the trunk and then we will know for sure. How about it fellows, take a look. :huh:

I'm not sure if the 5 x 7 size was by design or coincidence. I do know the defoggers were pretty much universal size for all the bodies.[/quote:23e0lj3v]

Hum ! My ductwork that come with the rear defroster I installed has the defroster mounted on the pass side. The blower assembly bolted to the 6x9 speaker hole with no modifcations. If the blower was mounted on the drivers side the ductwork would be facing the wrong way for the hose to mount up. Plastic ductwork only mounts one way and fit perfect. Also there is a screw that goes through a mounting bracket on the plastic duct and it matches up to the hole in the sheetmetal. :huh:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
69hemibeep said:
Unless they have been altered I believe they all looked like this
I want the striped finish you have there
Plastic media blasted, I had to DA sand the whole thing to get the plastic off before prime.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

I'm not sure if the 5 x 7 size was by design or coincidence. I do know the defoggers were pretty much universal size for all the bodies.[/quote]

Hum ! My ductwork that come with the rear defroster I installed has the defroster mounted on the pass side. The blower assembly bolted to the 6x9 speaker hole with no modifcations. If the blower was mounted on the drivers side the ductwork would be facing the wrong way for the hose to mount up. Plastic ductwork only mounts one way and fit perfect. Also there is a screw that goes through a mounting bracket on the plastic duct and it matches up to the hole in the sheetmetal. :huh:[/quote]
I have the old factory speaker on the left and the harness in mine will not even reach the right side. Now this is an a/m f/m with the balance knob front to rear

dstryr

Reaction score
I just learned somethin'. Didn't know that the holes were for one defogger and one speaker. So, was FM stereo available on a 69 b-body and if so, what was the speaker configuration?

Roadcuda

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Big John":2h4kvhit]The Roadrunner was only available with one rear speaker, a 6 x 9" on the passenger side. The other side, which just happens to be the right size for a 5 x 7" speaker was only for the defogger. While a lot of cars were fitted with speakers on both sides, that was done after the car left the factory. They all had cutouts in the sheet metal for the defogger and the speaker.

Interesting...so you could get the additional small speakers in the dash...but out back there was only one... I can't recall (other than my 'vert) not having two speakers back there (even my radio delete Bambilicious currently has two back there...) so I never gave it a second thought. Obviously, some previous owners had already made some mods to all of my RR's...

:jester:
ACME[/quote:2h4kvhit]
Ray, my car has 3 speakers in the dash, and I later found out that the only way to get the 3 speakers was with the am 8-track radio. At least from the factory that is.

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I have the old factory speaker on the left and the harness in mine will not even reach the right side. Now this is an a/m f/m with the balance knob front to rear

OK... Looks like I'm wrong.... But I do know it just was one speaker. Is that a 5x7 or a 6x9??

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

OK... Looks like I'm wrong.... But I do know it just was one speaker. Is that a 5x7 or a 6x9??
John. Its a 5x7

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dstryr said:
I just learned somethin'. Didn't know that the holes were for one defogger and one speaker. So, was FM stereo available on a 69 b-body and if so, what was the speaker configuration?
The 69 came with am or am/fm or am 8 track.

dstryr

Reaction score
Ok. :thumbsup: My dad's bee has 3 speakers in the dash so maybe also the 8-track. I need to dig into it some more as it has been sitting for 2 years untouched...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dstryr said:
Ok. :thumbsup: My dad's bee has 3 speakers in the dash so maybe also the 8-track. I need to dig into it some more as it has been sitting for 2 years untouched...
All the cars Ive seen the 3 in the dash had an 8 track :thumbsup: Any one have sales info for sound systems :huh:

V269

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

Hum ! My ductwork that come with the rear defroster I installed has the defroster mounted on the pass side. The blower assembly bolted to the 6x9 speaker hole with no modifcations. If the blower was mounted on the drivers side the ductwork would be facing the wrong way for the hose to mount up. Plastic ductwork only mounts one way and fit perfect. Also there is a screw that goes through a mounting bracket on the plastic duct and it matches up to the hole in the sheetmetal. :huh:[/quote]
I have the old factory speaker on the left and the harness in mine will not even reach the right side. Now this is an a/m f/m with the balance knob front to rear[/quote]

I'd say that this is the correct set-up. :thumbsup:

V269

Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

Your not totally wrong Big's, you got the one speaker part right. :leave: :lmao: :lmao:

Back