• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 383 Block

zupanj

Reaction score
Looking good. Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. I have used Permatex copper rtv on three or four exhaust manifolds now and it works great. Looks like something similar in the spray can that you sprayed on the head gaskets. I have never seen that before. Do you have to spray steel gaskets with the stuff or is it something additional that helps make a good seal?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Looking good. Looks like you have a nice shop to work in. I have used Permatex copper rtv on three or four exhaust manifolds now and it works great. Looks like something similar in the spray can that you sprayed on the head gaskets. I have never seen that before. Do you have to spray steel gaskets with the stuff or is it something additional that helps make a good seal?
I just did it for the extra protection. It is actually pretty cool stuff. I put them on while still tacky, not wet. I was pretty impressed with the stuff. :cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
zupanj said:
I just did it for the extra protection. It is actually pretty cool stuff. I put them on while still tacky, not wet. I was pretty impressed with the stuff. :cheers:
Thats good stuff, I use it on all head gaskets :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Hoosier Bird said:
How about a compression "TESTER". Oh, the next issue is I think that the valve covers are hitting the rockers......... :brickwall: :brickwall:

Yup - the tops of the rocker adjuster nuts made contact on the baffle when I used the stock valve covers. About the only thing you can do if you want to keep the stock valve covers is to drill a 1/4" +/- hole in the baffle above every rocker arm adjuster nut. You'll have to determine where the contact is being made but once you do it should be an easy fix.
When I ran the engine the first few times I heard a weird knocking noise and when I removed the covers I saw the contact points. I didn't think to drill holes in the baffle at the time and sold the valve covers since I had a set of MP black wrinkle covers. I wish I'd kept the originals now.
I think mine are hitting on the front edges of the rockers. I'm not sure, I'm going to blue up the inside of the valve cover and spin the engine a couple of times and check it out........mine are not the stock units, but close...... :thumbsup:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Looks like the chrome version of the stock valve cover to me. I had a set of those on my '71 Charger. Wish I could find another set but they aren't being produced anymore - at least they weren't last time I checked.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I think they are barely clearing. They have no baffles in them. They have a little rust on them so I'm going to sandblast them and paint them.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Took everyone's advice and got the pan gasket with the heat riser blocked. Here I am just gluing the paper gaskets on. In the second picture, I have 3 of the rockers that sit low like this one, the rest are all about the same height. I ran the valves 3 different times to check it out with the same outcome..........Pulled the pushrods and measured them, they measured good. Pulled the lifters and measured them, they measured good. Put the pushrods in the lifters and measured them, they measured good. Pulled the ball studs out of the rockers and "BINGO" there was the difference.............So, at least now I know why and I won't be worried about bending a pushrod when I fire it up.............. :drive:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Wont be long now, bet you cant wait :banana: Oh is that a run in the paint on the left head :acme:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
There are a couple of runs but that's ok cause I'm gonna beat up on this old girl a little anyway......... :lol:

The correct answer is you were duplicating the factory paint, runs and everything.

moparstuart

Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":h9s5l2iv]There are a couple of runs but that's ok cause I'm gonna beat up on this old girl a little anyway......... :lol:

The correct answer is you were duplicating the factory paint, runs and everything.[/quote:h9s5l2iv]

I dont see any runs but that door decal looks a little off :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot: :pot:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that looks great Gary :thumbsup: but that air cleaner just doesn't look right.... :huh: send it to me and I'll see how it looks on mine.......and I'll send you my round one.....even has a new pie pan.........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
that looks great Gary :thumbsup: but that air cleaner just doesn't look right.... :huh: send it to me and I'll see how it looks on mine.......and I'll send you my round one.....even has a new pie pan.........
I better hang on to that old thing, it looks pretty sexy on the old girl.......... :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks really good Gary! :thumbsup:

The Phone Cop must have much better eyesight than I do...'cause I can't see any run... :lol:

:jester:

Back