• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The 383 Block

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok guys, I made a mistake when honing the rods. I didn't go back and check them after everything cooled down and the holes shrank .0003, which made the rods too tight. Had to go back and take this out on 5 of th 8 rods.......... :brickwall: Got everything assembled now though. I'm starting to get a little excited......... :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
For you guys that have never installed the spiral retainers, you should do this because it's way funner than anything you've ever done....... :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
OK, there is a lot of different opinions about bushing the small end of the rod, so here is my input.
1. 302 Chevy engines had no bushing and they were kick butt engines.
2. If you bore the hole out you are weakening it because you are putting material back in that is far inferior as far as strength.
3. Bushings are used to correct dimensions from big end to small end.
4. If the steel on steel galls then what do you have? Pressed pin instead of full floating. Big Deal.
What do you guys think?

I think you went the no bushing route before you got any responses... :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
For you guys that have never installed the spiral retainers, you should do this because it's way funner than anything you've ever done....... :lmao:

I've never had a spiral lock fail...so I cannot bad mouth them...but I much prefer the old snap rings as far as ease of installation goes... Total PITA... :lol:

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":3lhhvxxm]OK, there is a lot of different opinions about bushing the small end of the rod, so here is my input.
1. 302 Chevy engines had no bushing and they were kick butt engines.
2. If you bore the hole out you are weakening it because you are putting material back in that is far inferior as far as strength.
3. Bushings are used to correct dimensions from big end to small end.
4. If the steel on steel galls then what do you have? Pressed pin instead of full floating. Big Deal.
What do you guys think?

I think you went the no bushing route before you got any responses... :lol:[/quote:3lhhvxxm]
Got tired of waiting...... :lol: I'm very impatient.......

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Well, I started my morning off by taking one of my rings and inserting it into the bore so I could check my end gap. Needs to be .027 on the top ring with the KB pistons. Bore X .0065 because of the piston design. The ends of the ring overlapped about an 1/8". Took the number off of the box and went into the house and checked it on the internet.........It was a 440 ring set.... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: So, now I can't do any more until Tuesday.......... :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: I went ahead and installed a couple to check my deck height, valve to piston clearance and degree the cam.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Piston to deck is .026, I have over .100 clearance on the valve to piston and the cam checked out with the cam card.......

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Appears to be some blue, gunky build-up on your pistons... :lol:

Looking good. Sucks about the rings though... :brickwall:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looking good Gary, the blue buildup is ok, if it turns green your looking at a total tear down and hot tank :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
As long as it just gets covered up and not broken, I'll be happy....... :lol: I can't believe you didn't mention that the top of my pistons look funny compared to yours........ :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
As long as it just gets covered up and not broken, I'll be happy....... :lol: I can't believe you didn't mention that the top of my pistons look funny compared to yours........ :D
I just figured you were building a low compression blower motor :jester:

Back