• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Greek Roadrunner is finally here!

kariverson

Reaction score
Hey Phil, where did the car come from? Nice find and good luck with the restore

Connecticut. I have a registration from 1979, the car was supposed to be sitting for 30 years but it doesn't seem to be the case. Even the windows and the locks work. Parking brake too. Revined unfortunately back in 79 but body numbers match the broadcast sheet. I really wish I find a second one somewhere because it partially missing.

Nice score! looks like youve got your work cut out for you. Your dad pulls the stern inspection face, but he will love riding in it just like my Dad does. He also pulled the same face originally.

Yeah haha, but he already likes working on it.

Hey. a four-speed car. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. I got mine running and drove it into the shop. Then the money and work started to flow. Having a complete back seat is a plus. You have a hard time finding them. Once you get into the motor you will know a lot more about it.

Pulled the valve covers today checked under there and also it is still full of oil. (Aftermarket dipstick?) I thought the engine was seized from decades of not working but that might not be the case after all.

IMG_20220904_200131.jpg

IMG_20220905_155427.jpg

IMG_20220905_155430.jpg

IMG_20220905_155433.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
Connecticut. I have a registration from 1979, the car was supposed to be sitting for 30 years but it doesn't seem to be the case. Even the windows and the locks work. Parking brake too. Revined unfortunately back in 79 but body numbers match the broadcast sheet. I really wish I find a second one somewhere because it partially missing.

Yeah haha, but he already likes working on it.

Pulled the valve covers today checked under there and also it is still full of oil. (Aftermarket dipstick?) I thought the engine was seized from decades of not working but that might not be the case after all.

View attachment 36664

View attachment 36665

View attachment 36666

View attachment 36667
Wow she's clean. I'd change oil, put fresh gas in it and try to start it.

kariverson

Reaction score
Wow she's clean. I'd change oil, put fresh gas in it and try to start it.
I wanted to make sure it turns by hand first and replace a couple of things like spark plugs, spark plug wires etc. Plus I need to see the casting numbers on the engine to know what and when it's from. They're on the worst possible place. I don't think it's original to the car. Between the turquoise color, the painted engine bay and the revinned dashboard I've been thinking the car might have been raced early in its life and caught fire at a certain point maybe.

MoparDan

Reaction score
I wanted to make sure it turns by hand first and replace a couple of things like spark plugs, spark plug wires etc. Plus I need to see the casting numbers on the engine to know what and when it's from. They're on the worst possible place. I don't think it's original to the car. Between the turquoise color, the painted engine bay and the revinned dashboard I've been thinking the car might have been raced early in its life and caught fire at a certain point maybe.
Turquoise may not be the wrong color. This chart is from Motor Trend.

Engine Color Chart, '64-'74*​

Turquoise
1964-68 361/383 with Carter
1966-68 440 with Carter
1968-69 383 with Holley
1967-69 440 with Holley
Red
1965-68 273/318/340

Race Hemi Orange
1964-65 426 2x4bbl
Hemi Orange
1966-68 426 2x4bbl
1969 383 with Carter
1969-71 426/440
1970-71 383 with Holley
Orange
1970-71 340
Street Hemi Orange
1969-71 426 2x4bbl
Blue
1969, 1972-74 318/340/ 360
1970-74 383/400 with Carter
1970-74 440 with Holley
1972-74 440 with Carter
*Note: There may be variations in production and/or final options.

As you can see, it was a virtual crap shoot. Did you find the original VIN?

kariverson

Reaction score
Turquoise may not be the wrong color. This chart is from Motor Trend.

Engine Color Chart, '64-'74*​

Turquoise
1964-68 361/383 with Carter
1966-68 440 with Carter
1968-69 383 with Holley
1967-69 440 with Holley
Red
1965-68 273/318/340

Race Hemi Orange
1964-65 426 2x4bbl
Hemi Orange
1966-68 426 2x4bbl
1969 383 with Carter
1969-71 426/440
1970-71 383 with Holley
Orange
1970-71 340
Street Hemi Orange
1969-71 426 2x4bbl
Blue
1969, 1972-74 318/340/ 360
1970-74 383/400 with Carter
1970-74 440 with Holley
1972-74 440 with Carter
*Note: There may be variations in production and/or final options.

As you can see, it was a virtual crap shoot. Did you find the original VIN?
Interesting. I thought all HP Roadrunner 383 were orange. Holley was the carb? My valve covers are Holley :p
Yes I have the original vin, the body matches the broadcast sheet I have. RM21H9A300xxx

Edit: Yeah my carb is Holley as well.

IMG_20220905_174047.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes, there is a car under all that rust. Just ask me how I know. Chin up and full speed ahead. Getting one in your hands is half the battle. Good luck. :beep:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Is that rust on the push rods for the valves. If it where me Would do a motor tear down and go through it. Refresh the motor is not a bad idea. My motor cranked and was able to use it to bring the car in the garage. After pulling it apart it was apparent it needed work. That motor has a lot of hours on it if it has never been broken down and gone through. Good luck on the build. :beep:

kariverson

Reaction score
Is that rust on the push rods for the valves. If it where me Would do a motor tear down and go through it. Refresh the motor is not a bad idea. My motor cranked and was able to use it to bring the car in the garage. After pulling it apart it was apparent it needed work. That motor has a lot of hours on it if it has never been broken down and gone through. Good luck on the build. :beep:
Yeah, there is some surface rust there unfortunately. I'm currently gathering information on what works and what doesn't. Alo trying to see how original it is. Motor and transmission.
I will definitely refresh the engine when I tear down the car but it would be really convenient right now to get it running even if it is for half a mile to go to the shop that has a lift.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If that is the case would drain the oil change it then run the motor for a bit then change it again. That is what I have done with any old motor I don't know about or am not sure of its condition. If it is the original motor would be a shame to harm it at this point. Pulling the oil pan would give you some clues on the motor. Cleaning it out and checking for metal in it would help. Check the pic up tube as well. Keep up the work and posting pics.

kariverson

Reaction score
Hey guys. This here is my build sheet. Sucks so much it's partial and I'm missing important parts like the original axle. And There was wariting on the first box of the "A" packages but you can't make out what it was because you see one tiny piece of the corner.
I Really really wish I find a second one somewhere in there.
At least there are some important codes you can see. Color, engine, trans, carb, n96 etc.

V01, L1 L1 with performance painted hood.
So it wasn't a vinyl top.
Not a very fancy color but there are very few pictures online of sandpebble beige.

Carb 77 means Holley? Any way to see if the carb is the original? Also will the trans have the vin somewhere to check as well?

Furthermore seller had told me it is a "posi" car. That's "sure grip" in Mopar terms right? I completely forgot to take a pic of the rear axle to identify it.

IMG_20220910_132713.jpg
IMG_20220910_132654.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
All 4 speed Roadrunners are Sure Grip. The only thing you can identify from looking at the rear end is if it is a Dana 60 or an 8 3/4. But there may be the tag still attached to one of the bolts that tells you the ratio. There also was a tag at the fill hole that said "Sure Grip" I believe it was yellow. I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in with their wisdom on things I missed.

kariverson

Reaction score
I got below the car. Some good news. Motor is the original!!

IMG_20220910_181114.jpg

I'm not sure if the color is supposed to be blue or orange lol blue is peeling and orange is below.

Couldn't see trans, the part where it says the vin is rusted. I need to sand it.

IMG_20220910_181619.jpg

Most likely 8.75 rear end

IMG_20220910_181832.jpg
IMG_20220910_181931.jpg

I don't understand how something that is so original after all had to be revinned.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Good find on the build sheet. Too many are lost before we get these cars. What does the pun kin look like on the differential there should be some numbers on it. Or something like and X or numbers.

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome to the site. Very nice Runner. Where did you buy it from? Are you planning on keeping it stock? Snap a pic of the fender tag and post it. Good luck with the restore.

kariverson

Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome to the site. Very nice Runner. Where did you buy it from? Are you planning on keeping it stock? Snap a pic of the fender tag and post it. Good luck with the restore.
Hey buddy, thanks! I remember when I was interested in getting the one you finally got as well! Congratulations to you too!

The car came from Connecticut. Won it on an ebay auction after talking to the seller first if it was ok for an international buyer to bid.

No fender tag unfortunately was too corroded and in pieces seller told me, but I do have 3/4 of the broadcast sheet some posts above.

Last edited:

69RunnerMike

Reaction score
Hey buddy, thanks! I remember when I was interested in getting the one you finally got as well! Congratulations to you too!

The car came from Connecticut. Won it on an ebay auction after talking to the seller first if it was ok for an international buyer to bid.

No fender tag unfortunately was too corroded and in pieces seller told me, but I do have 3/4 of the broadcast sheet some posts above.
I remember you now! I always wondered if you ever found one. That's awesome. I wonder how many Runners are in Greece? You may have the only one. That makes it even more special. Good luck on your journey. You're really going to turn some heads.

kariverson

Reaction score
I remember you now! I always wondered if you ever found one. That's awesome. I wonder how many Runners are in Greece? You may have the only one. That makes it even more special. Good luck on your journey. You're really going to turn some heads.
Thanks! I'm positive it's the only one. There are a couple of chargers here and there. But no Roadrunners, not even pre-71 satellites.
Even sitting on the side of the road for the first couple of days it gathered a crowd! I was honestly expecting everyone to think it's just some old heap of scrap metal but its presence here between all the citroens and Nissan micras etc is really something else.

Have you got yours running? What are you planning to do with your floors and frame rails. Are you planning to rotisserie restore yours right away or fix it up and drive it for a while?

Last edited:
Back