• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine runs like crap........

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
69hemibeep said:
One of the best buys out there on pistons are the Keith Black hyper, take a look and see what they offer. A buddy runs them in a stroked twin turbo engine and has destroyed everything over the years and never hurt a piston. Thats what I put in the last AMC I built for the sand jeep.

as i remember keith black went out of business.....its a shame....there aluminum blocks were top self but i didnt hear anything about there pistons....are they still available ???.....JE pistons are also great

KB Pistons are now made by Silvolite...

http://kb-silvolite.com/index2.php

Ray

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":2n5dqxy4]Looks like I need to cc one of my heads since they have been cut. KB pistons compression height is 1.906 which puts it .026 in the hole. Theoretically the flat top piston will give me 9.24:1 and the dome will give me 10.3:1. The domed can be cut to make it a little less. They are both cut for valves. I need to check a little closer because if my heads are 72cc that changes the ratios to 9.6 and 10.76........my current compression height is 1.844

Man, somebody must have whacked those 906s pretty good to get them down to 72...mine just got cut to take them down from 87 to 80...and doing that necessitated milling the intake sides to put everything back into proper alignment...

Ray[/quote:2n5dqxy4]
Sorry Ray, didn't mean to confuse the thread. I was only using 72 as an example......... :cheers:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="ACME A12":1g69okxo][quote="Hoosier Bird":1g69okxo]Looks like I need to cc one of my heads since they have been cut. KB pistons compression height is 1.906 which puts it .026 in the hole. Theoretically the flat top piston will give me 9.24:1 and the dome will give me 10.3:1. The domed can be cut to make it a little less. They are both cut for valves. I need to check a little closer because if my heads are 72cc that changes the ratios to 9.6 and 10.76........my current compression height is 1.844

Man, somebody must have whacked those 906s pretty good to get them down to 72...mine just got cut to take them down from 87 to 80...and doing that necessitated milling the intake sides to put everything back into proper alignment...

Ray[/quote:1g69okxo]
Sorry Ray, didn't mean to confuse the thread. I was only using 72 as an example......... :cheers:[/quote:1g69okxo]
What else is new, I havent figured out if you have one or two engines :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
What else is new, I havent figured out if you have one or two engines :lol:
Not to confuse you but I actually have 3 of them............. :lol: Now I'm looking at Dynamic Compression Ratios. I'll get this figured out soon enough........... :lol: :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Hey, Got the package. I would have been scared to mail that, with drug sniffing dogs and all............ :lmao:

Of course I'm kidding.......... :lol: :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got the engine totally tore down. Everything looks good except for the compression. What I don't understand is how everything inside looks so good and the outside looks horrible. Like they rebuilt it and then let it set outside and threw dirt and oil on it. The world may never know. I think I have found some piston so I'll keep you posted. :drive:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Got the engine totally tore down. Everything looks good except for the compression. What I don't understand is how everything inside looks so good and the outside looks horrible. Like they rebuilt it and then let it set outside and threw dirt and oil on it. The world may never know. I think I have found some piston so I'll keep you posted. :drive:

How'd ya score the pistons...? Musta sold my "package" after it made it past the drug sniffing dogs...???!!! :lmao:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":v27b3xn6]Got the engine totally tore down. Everything looks good except for the compression. What I don't understand is how everything inside looks so good and the outside looks horrible. Like they rebuilt it and then let it set outside and threw dirt and oil on it. The world may never know. I think I have found some piston so I'll keep you posted. :drive:

How'd ya score the pistons...? Musta sold my "package" after it made it past the drug sniffing dogs...???!!! :lmao:

:jester:[/quote:v27b3xn6]

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
A buddy says he has some. I need to go over and measure them up and check them for wear. I should know one day next week. Hope they are what I need. Going to cc my heads Saturday morning. I bought another 383 at carlisle last year. Took the heads off and took them to the guy that I sold my head shop to and after we pulled them out of the tank he said they have some porting work done on them. I'll check those out Saturday while we are ccing my other heads. After I cc the heads and see what the pistons look like then I will know what my combination will need to be. I need to be between 8 and 8.5 dynamic compression ratio to run on 91 octane...........we will see :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Dang it man. CC'd the heads at 89cc. That put the compression at 7.63(static) and 5.54(dynamic). That motor was way low on compression and 5 of the 8 combustion chambers would not hold a vaccum test and no hardened seats on the exhaust........I'll just have to fix that. :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":2ovtjqvc]CC'd the heads at 89cc.

Yep, like I said mine were 87cc when we started...

Any news on the pistons...?[/quote:2ovtjqvc]
I'm going over there in the morning........wish me luck. :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got the hardened seats in. I'm going to pick the heads up in the morning. I have a set of the mopar performance porting tools. I'm going to measure them up and draw a solid model of the finished product and run them on my cnc mill before he finishes the valve job. I may screw them up but we shall see. If it works out though it will work with any cast iron big block wedge head.......... :thumbsup:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Got the hardened seats in. I'm going to pick the heads up in the morning. I have a set of the mopar performance porting tools. I'm going to measure them up and draw a solid model of the finished product and run them on my cnc mill before he finishes the valve job. I may screw them up but we shall see. If it works out though it will work with any cast iron big block wedge head.......... :thumbsup:

Hmmmm....

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":my2ez1cn]Got the hardened seats in. I'm going to pick the heads up in the morning. I have a set of the mopar performance porting tools. I'm going to measure them up and draw a solid model of the finished product and run them on my cnc mill before he finishes the valve job. I may screw them up but we shall see. If it works out though it will work with any cast iron big block wedge head.......... :thumbsup:

Hmmmm....[/quote:my2ez1cn]

Okay...I'll bite... What are you Hmmmming about...??? Your heads about to make a trip over to Indiana...???

:jester:

Back