• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine runs like crap........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Hoosier Bird said:
Couple more pictures..........
I see the cam gear mark, is the crank mark above the keyway I cant see it? I havent done a wedge in years but alot of engines the timing mark and keyway are different I think you may be way off. That would be the cause of the piston and valves. Got a better pic of the crank gear?
Good eye, you guys nailed it. The had lined up the keyway with the O on it instead of the O on the gear and the key in the one with the O on it. I totally missed that. You guys are great. That made it off 3 teeth. Holy crap.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
That can easily explain why the valves were kissing the pistons.

Yep, I'll say...

Goes a long way to explain a lot of things...

Still may not have enough CR for that cam though...I discussed this with my machinist when I picked my stuff up yesterday - he thought that the 292H was WAY TOO MUCH CAM for 8.8 or 8.85 to 1. Suggested that you go with their XE274H instead... Said it won't rumble like the 292H, but that the XE274H with your combination would blow the doors off of the current combination with the 292H...

Ray

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Re: Hot Naked Chick........

george68hemirr said:
i think we are dying to see want up under that timing chain cover....also piston to valve clearences should be check....they should be tapping the pistons.....maybe the heads are shaved too much,...you might have to shim up with a thicker head gasket.....its gotta be the chain not installed correctly

so now thats it out look at everything close and do new rings,bearings and have those heads check out

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Re: Hot Naked Chick........

george68hemirr said:
george68hemirr said:
i think we are dying to see want up under that timing chain cover....also piston to valve clearences should be check....they should be tapping the pistons.....maybe the heads are shaved too much,...you might have to shim up with a thicker head gasket.....its gotta be the chain not installed correctly

so now thats it out look at everything close and do new rings,bearings and have those heads check out
And pistons....... :eek:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
what compression you going for??...10??....after all said and done....do the piston to valve clearance trick with the clay for an insurance policy

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I think 10:1 would be good. I could use one of the cams I have and still run on pump gas. All I need is a flat top piston that runs flush with the deck.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Forgot to tell you guys. There wasn't a single clip holding the clutch linkage together........ :eek:

mine had door panel clips holding the linkagr together :huh: :eek:

toms69rr

Reaction score
I think 10:1 would be good. I could use one of the cams I have and still run on pump gas. All I need is a flat top piston that runs flush with the deck.
That’s what I am running. but if the pistons are flat top and no valve relief’s in them you don't want to run over a 500 lift cam. that’s why a chose to run an EX268H intake .477 exhaust.480
I found out that 383 pistons are hard to find a bore size for I only needed .020 over on the block to clean up. But I had to go .040 to get a set of pistons that would fit.
I put the comp cams xe268h in her, she ran like a beast. but could never get her to run just right, Well after fouling about ten sets of sparkplugs and going through a couple of different carbs, I found out the cam needed a adjustable valve train. with to many people in the family i.e. the girl friend I was afraid that they would keep driving the car if one the adjusters came loose so I choose a different cam so I wanted to run a stock valve train. I went with the MP SIXPACK CAM. Runs good but, not as good as the XE268H.
Besides now I don't have to pull valve covers off to adjust valves all the time

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
One of the best buys out there on pistons are the Keith Black hyper, take a look and see what they offer. A buddy runs them in a stroked twin turbo engine and has destroyed everything over the years and never hurt a piston. Thats what I put in the last AMC I built for the sand jeep.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
One of the best buys out there on pistons are the Keith Black hyper, take a look and see what they offer. A buddy runs them in a stroked twin turbo engine and has destroyed everything over the years and never hurt a piston. Thats what I put in the last AMC I built for the sand jeep.

Whenever I hear about the KB pistons, I remember hearing a local guy spouting off on what junk they are... He's one of thise guys that has problems with everything though.... His engine builder didn't read KB's recomendations about ring gap and the ends butted. Of course that was KB's fault.. Yea... Right....

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

Whenever I hear about the KB pistons, I remember hearing a local guy spouting off on what junk they are... He's one of thise guys that has problems with everything though.... His engine builder didn't read KB's recomendations about ring gap and the ends butted. Of course that was KB's fault.. Yea... Right....

I've run a couple of sets of KB hypers - never had a problem. Like you stated - you just have to follow their recommendations on ring gaps and you're good to go.

I usually run Wisecos in anything that I want to withstand a serious beating...had good luck with those...a little pricey, but like anything and everything in this world, you get what you pay for... Bought a set for Bambi's new heart ($575 for the set through my machinist)...Oh Man, do they look GOOD... :yesnod:

:jester:
ACME

zupanj

Reaction score
My 383 also ran like crap. I followed a couple of posts on Moparts and as I recall the KB pistons are about all you can buy unless you go custom. I think they are advertised to be 9:1 but end in the low 8's or high 7's because they sit so deep in the hole. I don't know what my pistons are but I suspect they are KBs. They sit in the hole quite a bit. However my whole engine is a bunch of wrong parts, "300" cam, no compression (somewhere ~110), stock 906 heads and a stock manifold with 3.23 gears. I practically had to floor it to get the clutch out and it would still bog. Ran like crap to about 3000 and died at about 3700. No fun at all. I pulled the front apart thinking it was a cam gear off a tooth problem but everything was good there.

Figured my choices were to rebuild engine, recam or buy a hemi. Went with the latter.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Looks like I need to cc one of my heads since they have been cut. KB pistons compression height is 1.906 which puts it .026 in the hole. Theoretically the flat top piston will give me 9.24:1 and the dome will give me 10.3:1. The domed can be cut to make it a little less. They are both cut for valves. I need to check a little closer because if my heads are 72cc that changes the ratios to 9.6 and 10.76........my current compression height is 1.844

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Looks like I need to cc one of my heads since they have been cut. KB pistons compression height is 1.906 which puts it .026 in the hole. Theoretically the flat top piston will give me 9.24:1 and the dome will give me 10.3:1. The domed can be cut to make it a little less. They are both cut for valves. I need to check a little closer because if my heads are 72cc that changes the ratios to 9.6 and 10.76........my current compression height is 1.844

Man, somebody must have whacked those 906s pretty good to get them down to 72...mine just got cut to take them down from 87 to 80...and doing that necessitated milling the intake sides to put everything back into proper alignment...

Ray

george68hemirr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

as i remember keith black went out of business.....its a shame....there aluminum blocks were top self but i didnt hear anything about there pistons....are they still available ???.....JE pistons are also great

Back