• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoosier's Bird.........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Started off by letting the back end of the RR hang out the garage door, since I don't have room in front for a cherry picker with the door down. Jacked the back end of the car up about 24" to give me a little advantage putting engine and tranny in at the same time.... :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
After I got the flywheel on, I realized I didn't have a clutch alignment tool........ :brickwall: So, I jumped in the truck and went to town, 17 miles......nobody in town had any kind of clutch alignment tool...... :brickwall: Called my uncle, he said he had one for a gm 26 spline but it should work drove another 15 miles, got the tool and headed back home......spline too big and pilot too small........ :brickwall: So, I used the entire transmission as an alignment tool, then pulled it back out, installed the bell housing, stuck the throw out bearing on the retainer and slid everything in. Actually went pretty well.....If you look in the pictures you'll see I'm using one of those really junky engine tilters. It works well to lower the tranny end down because you have gravity on your side. Don't go too far down though because there is no way to jack it back level with this piece of crap..... :lol: I stuck my floor jack under the tranny with a thick rag on it and then I could level the engine out......... :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Yeah, I know. My firewall and inner fenders look like crap....... :lmao: :lmao: After I got everything bolted in good and tightened the headers down, I pushed the car back in and jacked the whole thing up so a fat guy like me could crawl around under it...........That's when I realized I forgot to put the starter in............ :brickwall: I guess I'll be pulling the header back off tomorrow......... :banana: :banana: I just love dumb arse attacks............. :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That is lookin' good Gary! :thumbsup: I must say though, I have to wonder how stable that car is on the jacks like that. Those front stands seem a bit too far back for it to be balanced very well.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Yeah, I know. My firewall and inner fenders look like crap....... :lmao: :lmao: After I got everything bolted in good and tightened the headers down, I pushed the car back in and jacked the whole thing up so a fat guy like me could crawl around under it...........That's when I realized I forgot to put the starter in............ :brickwall: I guess I'll be pulling the header back off tomorrow......... :banana: :banana: I just love dumb arse attacks............. :lol:
..looking good....also it looks like you should have that dip stick swallowing the header flange too.....right

Jim S.

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. It's looking good, Colonel. After everything you have done, you should be commended for only forgetting the starter (minor inconvenience).......Jim

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
That is lookin' good Gary! :thumbsup: I must say though, I have to wonder how stable that car is on the jacks like that. Those front stands seem a bit too far back for it to be balanced very well.
The picture is a little decieving. I think because the stands are so big. They are right behind the front tires........thanks for the concern though. I don't want to get squashed..... :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:
..looking good....also it looks like you should have that dip stick swallowing the header flange too.....right
Not sure if I understand the question...... :huh:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Thanks for the pics. It's looking good, Colonel. After everything you have done, you should be commended for only forgetting the starter (minor inconvenience).......Jim
Thanks Jim, it went pretty smoothly for a one man operation............ :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
george68hemirr said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":xl1etgnq]Yeah, I know. My firewall and inner fenders look like crap....... :lmao: :lmao: After I got everything bolted in good and tightened the headers down, I pushed the car back in and jacked the whole thing up so a fat guy like me could crawl around under it...........That's when I realized I forgot to put the starter in............ :brickwall: I guess I'll be pulling the header back off tomorrow......... :banana: :banana: I just love dumb arse attacks............. :lol:
Not sure if I understand the question...... :huh:[/quote:xl1etgnq]
does your dipstick tube come out between the header and the block or is that the correct where it is??

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
[quote="Jim S.":2easwyx6]Thanks for the pics. It's looking good, Colonel. After everything you have done, you should be commended for only forgetting the starter (minor inconvenience).......Jim
Thanks Jim, it went pretty smoothly for a one man operation............ :thumbsup:[/quote:2easwyx6]

Good job Gary! :thumbsup:

Lot of work for one man...cut yourself a break on the starter... :yesnod:

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
does your dipstick tube come out between the header and the block or is that the correct where it is??
I must assume that is where it goes. The bracket that hooks to the tube and is bolted to the motor mount is longer than my other one. It fits in pretty nicely..........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Good job Gary! :thumbsup:

Lot of work for one man...cut yourself a break on the starter... :yesnod:

:jester:
Thanks, just got home from church and I'm getting ready to rectify the starter problem. I cleaned the starter with diesel fuel and painted it. Still have some diesel fuel dripping out after 2 days........hopefully I didn't toast it........ :lol: Order my clutch torque arm rebuild kit on the 26th of Aug. Went to the shop today and it was in the mail box...... :banana: :banana: Perfect timing........ :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Starter is in. Header came right out the bottom, put starter in and then header would not go in...... :brickwall: Take starter back off and install header and starter at same time....... :thumbsup: I had a pickle of a time getting the z-bar in. Is there a good technique for doing this? It took me about an hour........ :loco: Put the drive shaft in, no problems..... :thumbsup: Put the shifter in, had to take out my gauges hanging down below. I'll have to relocate those. While taking those off I got a good look under the dash and the wiring looks a little butchered.....I'll have to work on that......put the speedometer cable on to finish the underside work......I'll drop her down tomorrow and start installing all the other goodies..... :banana: :banana: :banana:

zupanj

Reaction score
I found the Z-bar a little tough too. It's just hard to reach in or around and put anything in place. If it wan't for the hole in the fender it would be nearly impossible.

Jack

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ripped the old exhaust off this morning. From the mufflers back it was new from year one.......... :loco: Then starting tidying up the barn a little. It is starting to get on my nerves with all the mess on the floor........going to a cookout, stay tuned for tomorrow's episode......... :lmao:

Back