• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoosier's Bird.........

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Thanks, guys. My hard work payed off..........when that thing fired right up with those open headers, well........I think I will just throw that underwear away...... :lmao:

we need a burnout video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrads :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Went out this morning to find an oil spot the size of a softball right under the main....... :brickwall: Fretted about it all day, went to church, had an italian get together at church afterwords, then went to my daughters boyfriends house for cake and icecream, it's his birthday. Got back home and rolled the car back to see if it would drip, three hours later nothing...... :brickwall: Jacked the car up on the tall stands so I could look for an oil droplet or something and when I grabbed my floor jack I remembered that when I jacked the front end up all the way the jack puked some oil........... :banana: :banana: :banana: All that worrying for nothing......Tried to put the exhaust on so I can hear anything that's going on and ran into a few more issues. The pipe after the headers needs to bend toward the middle of the car. Looks like more work but that's ok keeps me busy and I'm using what I have until I can afford better. My only issue with it is that it's 2 1/4 all the way back..... :toetap: Ok, I'm done rambling............... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Went out this morning to find an oil spot the size of a softball right under the main....... :brickwall: Fretted about it all day, went to church, had an italian get together at church afterwords, then went to my daughters boyfriends house for cake and icecream, it's his birthday. Got back home and rolled the car back to see if it would drip, three hours later nothing...... :brickwall: Jacked the car up on the tall stands so I could look for an oil droplet or something and when I grabbed my floor jack I remembered that when I jacked the front end up all the way the jack puked some oil........... :banana: :banana: :banana: All that worrying for nothing......Tried to put the exhaust on so I can hear anything that's going on and ran into a few more issues. The pipe after the headers needs to bend toward the middle of the car. Looks like more work but that's ok keeps me busy and I'm using what I have until I can afford better. My only issue with it is that it's 2 1/4 all the way back..... :toetap: Ok, I'm done rambling............... :lol:
Can you ever completly stop all the leaks? After the work that was done on my car to fix leaks, I still have some drips under the same areas. It's nothing like it was, and it takes much longer, but they are still there. :brickwall:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Hoosier Bird said:
Can you ever completly stop all the leaks? After the work that was done on my car to fix leaks, I still have some drips under the same areas. It's nothing like it was, and it takes much longer, but they are still there. :brickwall:

Mopars are like dogs... they mark their territory.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got the passenger side exhaust all welded up and ready to install. Took a pic from under the car while i was thinking......"what kind of moron would be laying on his back when he has a lift in the next bay"......... :brickwall: Kind of dark.....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Got the passenger side exhaust all welded up and ready to install. Took a pic from under the car while i was thinking......"what kind of moron would be laying on his back when he has a lift in the next bay"......... :brickwall: Kind of dark.....
...one who must have been too lazy to move cars around to put another car on it!!! :devil: Just remember, you did ask..... :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Hoosier Bird said:
...one who must have been too lazy to move cars around to put another car on it!!! :devil: Just remember, you did ask..... :jester:
But I have no running gear under the car on the lift..... :brickwall:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got the exhaust on and noticed a leaking brake line........right where it goes into the block on the rear end.......thought I better check it out, wiggled it and it basically was rusted in half.... :brickwall: does it ever end.............. :lol:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Got the exhaust on and noticed a leaking brake line........right where it goes into the block on the rear end.......thought I better check it out, wiggled it and it basically was rusted in half.... :brickwall: does it ever end.............. :lol:

it never ends :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
But just think, by the time you're done you'll have all new parts under there, you'll have it done before you get the car back on the road, and those new parts should last you a very long time. Then all you'll have to do is :drive: and enjoy your :beep:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Hoosier Bird said:
But just think, by the time you're done you'll have all new parts under there, you'll have it done before you get the car back on the road, and those new parts should last you a very long time. Then all you'll have to do is :drive: and enjoy your :beep:

Yeah - if you can get it done before our old cars are legislated out of existence by the politicos and their tree hugger friends.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Ok, found the valvetrain noise......my eBay pushrods must have been a custom length because they were about .125 longer than what they should have been. I didn't think that would hurt anything with the adjustable rockers. The diameter of the cup was larger than the cutout in the rockers so when I thought I had them adjusted it was pushing to the side. When I fired it up the pushrod dug a groove into the rockers and then started boring a hole through them until they reached the ball on the rocker. This left the rockers about .050 loose. I knew they were tight but didn't do anything about it....... :brickwall: So today I cleaned up the rockers, they were not hurt just took out about 4 threads on the bottom. Then I shortened the pushtubes by .100, installed everything, readjusted the valves and holy crap this thing sounds awesome....... Now, I have to fix the brake line, tidy up the wires and go for a test drive, then get george a burnout video....... :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and don't forget to........ :redx: ..and sound would be nice too Gary..... :drive:

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Ok, found the valvetrain noise......my eBay pushrods must have been a custom length because they were about .125 longer than what they should have been. I didn't think that would hurt anything with the adjustable rockers. The diameter of the cup was larger than the cutout in the rockers so when I thought I had them adjusted it was pushing to the side. When I fired it up the pushrod dug a groove into the rockers and then started boring a hole through them until they reached the ball on the rocker. This left the rockers about .050 loose. I knew they were tight but didn't do anything about it....... :brickwall: So today I cleaned up the rockers, they were not hurt just took out about 4 threads on the bottom. Then I shortened the pushtubes by .100, installed everything, readjusted the valves and holy crap this thing sounds awesome....... Now, I have to fix the brake line, tidy up the wires and go for a test drive, then get george a burnout video....... :lol:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :redx:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got the brake line fixed...... :banana: Tried to bleed the brakes, no fluid comes out. Checked everything out and the rear hose is totally clogged or collapsed... :brickwall: Pulled the wheels and tires off to get those stupid looking spinners off. Decided to check the brakes while the I had to wheels and tires off. All the drums look good but shoes are getting thin, so I'm going to go ahead and replace them and pack the wheel bearings. Looks like a few more days......... :crazy:

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Got the brake line fixed...... :banana: Tried to bleed the brakes, no fluid comes out. Checked everything out and the rear hose is totally clogged or collapsed... :brickwall: Pulled the wheels and tires off to get those stupid looking spinners off. Decided to check the brakes while the I had to wheels and tires off. All the drums look good but shoes are getting thin, so I'm going to go ahead and replace them and pack the wheel bearings. Looks like a few more days......... :crazy:
take your time get it right , hope you get to cruise soon

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, no time to skimp no. you wanna be able to stop that beast!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
I had a similar problem with my Barracuda when I first got it. I had a hard pedal from the start, then after a panic stop, the pedal went to the floor but would pump up. When I went to re-bleed it, I opened one wheel cyclinder valve and while using a vacuum pump, nothing would come out. I opened a second valve and had to literially stand on the pedal and got a trickel of fluid. So I went ahead and replaced the complete brake system, all rubber and steel lines, wheel cyclinders, and master.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:

Sounds like it might be a good idea to check the roller bearings' travel pattern across the top of the valve stems given the troubles you've encountered. Always a good idea anyway in any roller rocker set-up...but it sounds like a really good idea in this particular case... Not to jinx you, but it would really suck to find out that you need shim the rocker shafts up to correct the valvetrain geometry and that you need some of that .100" that you just whacked off of the pushrods... Maybe you already checked this and my concerns are unfounded....I hope so.

Ray

Back