• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Decoding A14 Road Runner

SuperStockDodge

Reaction score
Okay, I have red stripes on the way but I can't decide on the hood. I am afraid it will get a bit busy with the flat black stripes. Also, I am not a big fan of how hard the original flat black finish is to take care of. I was considering a modern flat paint that can get wax on it. Stripes will be there, just not 100% correct. Opinions?

Jim S.

Reaction score
SuperStockDodge said:
Okay, I have red stripes on the way but I can't decide on the hood. I am afraid it will get a bit busy with the flat black stripes. Also, I am not a big fan of how hard the original flat black finish is to take care of. I was considering a modern flat paint that can get wax on it. Stripes will be there, just not 100% correct. Opinions?

Well here is what I did to duplicate the Organisol and make it durable and easy to clean with some vinegar and distilled water mixed 50/50. Works on everything including wax. I used DCC9355 which is a modern urethane with texture and flattening agent added, and 3:2 extra thinner vs. 50/50. I have the exact formula if you need it. The stripes were a little gritty for a few months but now they are perfect and easy to clean and look very similar to Organisol.
Some guys have success with "hot rod black" paint.
Here is a old thread showing what I did with a photobucket link...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1753&p=21589#p21589

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently did Hot rod black on two of mine it laid down nice and so far I like it, the organisol mix was crazy expensive compared to it too which was a big factor to me. Another thing to consider is synthetic car wax the turtle wax ice, I heard it will not wreck flat black, don't remember where I heard it from, but it seems nice to use and I still am very careful waxing near hood stripes anyways . I think all that would make your car a quadruple black and I'm not sure what the next step up from a trifecta of black is but with hood stripes your car would achieve it.

moparchris

Reaction score
Your car is killer!!! What a combo :thumbsup: :drool:

Ray, order your double double "monkey style" next time you go to in n out.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
When I added the hood stripe to my car Hot Rod black was used, without the organisol. It does make it easy to clean and looks good enough for me!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I really like the look of the flat hood stripes on a black car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
there's a guy on FBBO htat's building a black '69 with the flat black stripes. looks killer.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
:drool: :drool: :drool: really made a difference getting all that nasty blue off that poor car....... :acme:

SuperStockDodge

Reaction score
IMG_0212.jpg

Ruby Red Reflective Stripes are on...still sitting on the fence about painting the flat black stripes back on it should have. I am just not sold on it and personally I think it will be too much. Gonna roll like this for now.

IMG_0212.jpg

Back