• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Decoding A14 Road Runner

SuperStockDodge

Reaction score
I looked at the 383 and checked the number on the side of the block...it looks like one of the numbers in the middle did not get stamped or is stamped so bad that is does not show through the paint. It matches the info I have and appears to be a numbers matching block but I looked farther up on the block and saw a 68 casting. Is my block not really numbers matching with a 68 casting or is this a common thing? I have seen on my 440 I have in my Dodge 330 that the numbers are not very good on it (almost not present and crooked) and I know where it came from. I have been told Mopar numbers stampings are often pretty bad by others and have seen this but I am just not an expert on this stuff. Opinions on this subject appreciated...

SuperStockDodge

Reaction score
DSCN0970.jpg

I caught some light that shows how reflective the stripes can be that I put on, I love them! I am glad it came from the factory with the red instead of the white...it really fits the cars attitude better LOL.

DSCN0961.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0961.jpg

DSCN0959.jpg

Last edited:

Tempest 455

Reaction score
I have an A14 car as well and wish my stripes were red! My car is Y2 Sunfire Yellow and the A14 pkg stripe was white. White with Yellow and Black does not work for me. When the previous owner(s) repainted, it was not added.

Nice looking car you have!

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_15761.jpg

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That is a great lookin' car. yeah, the red stripe looks much better on a black car then the white would.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I looked at the 383 and checked the number on the side of the block...it looks like one of the numbers in the middle did not get stamped or is stamped so bad that is does not show through the paint. It matches the info I have and appears to be a numbers matching block but I looked farther up on the block and saw a 68 casting. Is my block not really numbers matching with a 68 casting or is this a common thing? I have seen on my 440 I have in my Dodge 330 that the numbers are not very good on it (almost not present and crooked) and I know where it came from. I have been told Mopar numbers stampings are often pretty bad by others and have seen this but I am just not an expert on this stuff. Opinions on this subject appreciated...

Byron - ask 10 guys and you'll get 10 varied opinions. The first and foremost thing you have to remember when researching stampings, date codes, casting dates, and their ilk, is that it was an assembly line environment and you can NEVER SAY NEVER. That being said, it is unlikely that a car with a build date as late as yours - damn near at the end of the production year - would have a '68 casting block. Please note that I used the term "unlikely", not "impossible". Some things to consider; perhaps the engine required some rework and was not finished & installed until quite some time after its initial assembly - creating a gap between casting date and EAD and/or final installation. Also, they did not employ "first in - first out" inventory practices like we do today - and who knows what else may have happened within the walls of that factory?

What is the actual casting date? Any other stampings that you care to share with us?

Lastly, If I were you I would not get too worked up about it. It is a beautiful car and that is all that matters.:cents:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

Do you have the original tranny? The shitty stamping would be identical to the one on the block, they were done at the same time with the same stamp.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Mother Mopar is famous for making the "never was made cars"
and I wanna see Rays plaid sport coat.....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
u been hang'n around that blind girl too long......look at your avaitar......

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Bob we all know this is only the begining with you....

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
u been hang'n around that blind girl too long......look at your avaitar......

dammit...:basketcase:

I can't do anything about it either...I have moderator tools...which is like having the little yellow plastic tool box from one of the home improvement stores filled with crap from Harbor Freight. He has Admin Tools...which is like having the giant Snap-On Condominium filled with primo Snap-On tools...:toetap:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
dammit...:basketcase:

I can't do anything about it either...I have moderator tools...which is like having the little yellow plastic tool box from one of the home improvement stores filled with crap from Harbor Freight. He has Admin Tools...which is like having the giant Snap-On Condominium filled with primo Snap-On tools...:toetap:

Exactly!

SuperStockDodge

Reaction score
Well the trans has my vin info just like the block does.

I think I have bad info on how to date the block. The big casting number up on the side of the block are 9 0318642 and a guy was telling me it was a 68 block from that.

Back