• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Me Your Engines

dstryr

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
dstryr said:
Here's one almost ready to fire...my numbers motor is worn out. Bad. This one is going to break stuff. Bad. 10.3:1, 505", comp cams XS290S.

401078920407-1.jpg
That one should be fun :thumbsup:

I think it will be! :jester:

Care for some numbers anyone?

560 hp, 630 ft/lbs torque :cool: , slapped the carbs and intake on from the old motor, threw in the old distributor and not much for tuning. In the last couple of months I swapped in ProMax metering blocks in and a Pertonix Ignitor under the cap so those things were well tested and swapped over without any issue.

Can't wait to do a big smokey burnout....

[youtube:qhmyl9un]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgoJBORKieQ[/youtube:qhmyl9un]

mac

What ?
Reaction score
dstryr said:
Here's one almost ready to fire...my numbers motor is worn out. Bad. This one is going to break stuff. Bad. 10.3:1, 505", comp cams XS290S.

Care for some numbers anyone?

560 hp, 630 ft/lbs torque :cool: , slapped the carbs and intake on from the old motor, threw in the old distributor and not much for tuning. In the last couple of months I swapped in ProMax metering blocks in and a Pertonix Ignitor under the cap so those things were well tested and swapped over without any issue.

Can't wait to do a big smokey burnout....

i would love to hear more of the specs on this engine. :cheers: :drive:

dstryr

Reaction score
Here are the basics:

I bought the block and started working on a wish list in early 2006 and being the first engine I had ever had built I wanted to be sure it would be streetable on pump gas. After a few PMs with Cab Burge on Moparts I started down the road of building a solid lifter motor. Dwayne Porter supplied the Comp Cams and Harland-Sharp items and Ron(Firefighter3931) and a few others on dodgecharger.com provided a fair amount of insight as it was going together.

Ag & Industrial fired it for the first time last Tuesday before Thanksgiving, ran it for 20 minutes and changed oil. Will opened the filter and saw no issues so he changed the oil, let it cool overnight and ran it another 20 minutes on Wednesday. I stopped in after work that day and it was almost cooled off from the earlier run. He fired it for me and I was damn glad to hear it run. :banana:

We are having some issues in that the outboards are not coming open with the engine vacuum alone and the pulls he made were with a bolt through the slide on the center carb linkage to open the outboards manually. Vacuum is good, connections are tight so we will experiment with springs in the pods.

Center carb is jetted 66s and outboards are 84s.

1966 440 block +.030"
440 Source 512" kit
440 Source heads, valve job, back-cut valves, Comp Cams 10* locks and retainers
Porting: 254cfm initial, 283 after porting on the intake side
ROL .044 head gasket
pistons approx .006 in the hole
10.2:1 compr.
Comp Cams XS290S
Comp Cams EDM lifters
Smith Bros Pushrods
Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers S70015K
'69 6 bbl induction system with Promax outboard metering plates, center metering block, and rear adj. base
Stock dist. with Pertronix Ignitor conversion and Flamethrower coil

560 hp 630 ft/lbs torque with almost no tuning other than setting the timing.

I'll post a dyno printout as soon as I can get a copy. Hopefully we can tune a few more HP into it.

Head work by Harry's Heads, Sioux City, IA
Machine work and assembly by AndoMatic, Omaha, NE
Break-in and dyno work by Ag & Industrial Engine & Machine, Norfolk, NE
Guess work by yours truly. :jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Here is another overweight one :D I just looked back at Larry's hemi and noticed I need to put my carb tags back on :toetap:

dstryr

Reaction score
I would never have noticed the tags...too busy drooling over the motor and detailed engine compartment. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
dstryr, we are looking forward to video of that wedge in action. And thanks

dstryr

Reaction score
Just got back from my lunch break. Will put my 2" Doug's Headers on in place of the 1-7/8" fenderwell headers he used to break it in and do some initial tuning.

Jetted at 66s in the center and 84s in the outboards and my headers made 598hp and 652lbs/ft of torque :loco: , so we're done screwing with it. Don't know if I will get it into the car with the cooler weather, but you never know. :jester:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dstryr said:
Just got back from my lunch break. Will put my 2" Doug's Headers on in place of the 1-7/8" fenderwell headers he used to break it in and do some initial tuning.

Jetted at 66s in the center and 84s in the outboards and my headers made 598hp and 652lbs/ft of torque :loco: , so we're done screwing with it. Don't know if I will get it into the car with the cooler weather, but you never know. :jester:

That one will be fun...! :D

Any update on the issue with the outboard carbs?

dstryr

Reaction score
We didn't get the outboards solved but a piece of electrical tape over the top edge of the throat and down over the bleed holes cured the problem temporarily. Mike B @ a12mopar.com suggested the pods may be leaking where they join to the carb body so I will start there. I didn't expect this much HP at the compression ratio so am happy with the results. :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
dstryr said:
Here are the basics:

I bought the block and started working on a wish list in early 2006 and being the first engine I had ever had built I wanted to be sure it would be streetable on pump gas. After a few PMs with Cab Burge on Moparts I started down the road of building a solid lifter motor. Dwayne Porter supplied the Comp Cams and Harland-Sharp items and Ron(Firefighter3931) and a few others on dodgecharger.com provided a fair amount of insight as it was going together.

Ag & Industrial fired it for the first time last Tuesday before Thanksgiving, ran it for 20 minutes and changed oil. Will opened the filter and saw no issues so he changed the oil, let it cool overnight and ran it another 20 minutes on Wednesday. I stopped in after work that day and it was almost cooled off from the earlier run. He fired it for me and I was damn glad to hear it run. :banana:

We are having some issues in that the outboards are not coming open with the engine vacuum alone and the pulls he made were with a bolt through the slide on the center carb linkage to open the outboards manually. Vacuum is good, connections are tight so we will experiment with springs in the pods.

Center carb is jetted 66s and outboards are 84s.

1966 440 block +.030"
440 Source 512" kit
440 Source heads, valve job, back-cut valves, Comp Cams 10* locks and retainers
Porting: 254cfm initial, 283 after porting on the intake side
ROL .044 head gasket
pistons approx .006 in the hole
10.2:1 compr.
Comp Cams XS290S
Comp Cams EDM lifters
Smith Bros Pushrods
Harland Sharp 1.5 roller rockers S70015K
'69 6 bbl induction system with Promax outboard metering plates, center metering block, and rear adj. base
Stock dist. with Pertronix Ignitor conversion and Flamethrower coil

560 hp 630 ft/lbs torque with almost no tuning other than setting the timing.

I'll post a dyno printout as soon as I can get a copy. Hopefully we can tune a few more HP into it.

Head work by Harry's Heads, Sioux City, IA
Machine work and assembly by AndoMatic, Omaha, NE
Break-in and dyno work by Ag & Industrial Engine & Machine, Norfolk, NE
Guess work by yours truly. :jester:

did you use light weight valve springs for cam break in???
make sure you have zinc additive in your oil or you could wipe out your cam...anti-scuff

sound like a great engine....good luck and keep an eye on your valve adjustments

Back