• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hoosier's Bird.........

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Hoosier Bird":eek:hl2gt19]Ok, found the valvetrain noise......my eBay pushrods must have been a custom length because they were about .125 longer than what they should have been. I didn't think that would hurt anything with the adjustable rockers. The diameter of the cup was larger than the cutout in the rockers so when I thought I had them adjusted it was pushing to the side. When I fired it up the pushrod dug a groove into the rockers and then started boring a hole through them until they reached the ball on the rocker. This left the rockers about .050 loose. I knew they were tight but didn't do anything about it....... :brickwall: So today I cleaned up the rockers, they were not hurt just took out about 4 threads on the bottom. Then I shortened the pushtubes by .100, installed everything, readjusted the valves and holy crap this thing sounds awesome....... Now, I have to fix the brake line, tidy up the wires and go for a test drive, then get george a burnout video....... :lol:

Sounds like it might be a good idea to check the roller bearings' travel pattern across the top of the valve stems given the troubles you've encountered. Always a good idea anyway in any roller rocker set-up...but it sounds like a really good idea in this particular case... Not to jinx you, but it would really suck to find out that you need shim the rocker shafts up to correct the valvetrain geometry and that you need some of that .100" that you just whacked off of the pushrods... Maybe you already checked this and my concerns are unfounded....I hope so.

Ray[/quote:eek:hl2gt19]
Geometry looks good.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got my new hose on, broke the brake line that goes to the passenger rear wheel..... :brickwall: Ran to Napa and got a 40" line and bent it up, fits nice........done with rear lines...Front brakes went on good, no problems. Passenger rear went well.....When I pulled the Driver's rear apart, it needs a wheel cylinder...........Decided to put both rear wheel cylinders on so I pulled the new brakes off of the passenger side, and guess what......I twisted the brake line on the drivers side so now I'm going to replace that...... :lol: I guess I'll have all new lines on the back......I'll give you some before and afters, just remember the rear is pulled back apart............

zupanj

Reaction score
Wow, It's been a while since I've been inside a brake setup. Are you rebuilding the wheel cylinders or buying new ones?

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
zupanj said:
Wow, It's been a while since I've been inside a brake setup. Are you rebuilding the wheel cylinders or buying new ones?
Depends on the cost. I'll let you know what I do. :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Wheel cylinder kits: $4.95 ea.....
Wheel cylinders: $9.95........
To me that's a no brainer..... My 2 old ones have different #s on them. If any of you picky numbers guys tell me what you are looking for I'll gladly give you my old ones............They are definately rebuildable..... :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
While tucking some wires away, I realized that the original carpet is still in my car under the replacement........ :huh:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
While tucking some wires away, I realized that the original carpet is still in my car under the replacement........ :huh:

There is simply no telling what you are going to find in any of these old beasts...NOTHING surprises me anymore... :D

moparstuart

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
free protectant for the new carpet and extra sound deadener :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Got the new wheel cylinders in, cleaned the front wheel bearings. Had to replace the inner passenger bearing and race. Put everything together and blead the brakes. Now all I have to do is put on the wheels and tires and tie up some wires.........had to stop tonight to watch.......well, you know..... :lol:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Got the new wheel cylinders in, cleaned the front wheel bearings. Had to replace the inner passenger bearing and race. Put everything together and blead the brakes. Now all I have to do is put on the wheels and tires and tie up some wires.........had to stop tonight to watch.......well, you know..... :lol:
Gee Gary, no, we don't know. Just WHAT, is so important to watch that the car has to sit there all by itself? :toetap: :devil:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Hoosier Bird said:
Gee Gary, no, we don't know. Just WHAT, is so important to watch that the car has to sit there all by itself? :toetap: :devil:

..he's watching college football... :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
I never was a follower so, no I wasn't watching any kind of ball...........Been raining now for 2 days. I am putting on a carshow Saturday and it looks like it would be a better boat show........oh well. Hopefully the stick shift drags won't get cancelled........ :D

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
This is our second year for putting on a car show, with all proceeds going to our community center. It has a food bank, doctors office, senior center, pre-school and child care. A friend of mine is the executive director and I'm president of the board. It is, of course, a non-profit org. Last year we had a turnout of about 60, which was our first year. It was rained out earlier this year and this weekend is our big fall festival so we are suppose to do it then.......I hope the rains stops just so we can have some fun..........
http://www.myspace.com/communitycenterofhopeinc

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Two years of rain in a row, maybe a different week :yesnod: Hey who put the toe tapping dude on my avitar :toetap:

Back